Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: changing the OS

Beans

changing the OS

i have linux mint on a Eee pc laptop. i downloaded linufx on that drive can i install the linuxfx over mint or do i have to down linuxfx onto a thumb stick like i did with mint and then boot to the stick and go from there? i'm trying to find a linux type OS that works more like windows does so when i need to install or run a program i do not have to spend hours keyboarding to get it to run. i see linuxfx and also robolinux they say runs like windows and even can run windows type programs.

so for installing another OS in linux will i have to put them on a stick in iso format and then boot to that stick and install that OS that way? it is not an issue i just need to make sure how to go about it for any of the linux OS i try to test out. thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: changing the OS

This is an odd query, as it has nothing to do with Ubuntu. Why did you think is was a good idea to ask here?

Beans

There are ways to boot the ISO off the hard disk, but probably not if you are overwriting the partition the ISO is on. The stick is more straightforward, since the hdd grub boot instructions may differ by distribution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thread moved to MINT
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

ok i tried to install with dual boot and that failed bad. so i took the drive out and formatted it and ran rufus about 50 times before it finally took. and now i have to jump thru a few hoops but it looks like it is now going thru the setup configuration. i will stop back and let you know how this works.
    Last edited by corvairbob; September 19th, 2021 at 01:00 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

You're speaking about a system I don't know so I'll speak in terms I do know about (ie. Ubuntu).

Ubuntu is available in many forms, with different installers - they have have different capabilities. Installers can be `ubiquity`, `debian-installer`, `subiquity`, `calamares` etc.. The ISO you download and use dictates which installer is provided for that release or flavor you use for Ubuntu.

Can you boot an ISO from hdd/sdd - yep. I have an thinkpad with dead USB drives, and I didn't want to use DVDs for QA (Quality Assurance) testing, so I'd copy the ISO to the disk (`scp`) of the thinkpad, then run a script on it and the ISOs would appear in `grub` allowing me to boot and run the ISO. I did the same on an eeepc too, but only rarely, so I know this works there.

The `ubiquity` installer (this may depend on release, but you weren't specific as to installer so I'm using this as example) will not let you install to the partition it booted from - ie. I'd install to a different partition - which was fine for my purposes anyway (I didn't have to re-setup my ISO boot structure!), and would not full-disk install as it refused to overwrite the partition where the ISO was booted from (again I felt this was useful as I didn't want this either).

What I'm describing with `ubiquity` may impact your non-Ubuntu OS using an unknown installer for unstated release. Different installers have different restrictions, different solutions for issues etc.

You'll likely find you can do whatever you want; but the setup of what I describe, I did only because the thinkpad (t42p) didn't have bootable USB ports - I'd have just used a thumb-drive if it did as it would have been easier (no `scp` & script run to test; just boot thumb-drive I already had written for testing on other devices..). Using a USB-thumb drive maybe easier.

Beans

ok i see it got moved to mint. i looked for mint and did not see that area. so i will again look and see what they say thanks

Beans

so where is mint on this forum? i do not see it under forum community. can you help me get to that forum? thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Look at the top of this page - you'll see the complete navigation trail as a series of links. Everything on this forum is under "The Ubuntu Forum Community". Sub-ordinate to that are the four main sections of the forum. You are now in a sub-forum of a sub-forum, etc, of the fourth, "Other Discussion and Support". This thread was moved because you posted in one of the first two main sections which are for Ubuntu and recognised flavours only. Mint is not Ubuntu, neither is it a recognised flavour. Mint has its own forum, here: https://forums.linuxmint.com/
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

i'm trying to find a linux type OS that works more like windows
    i'm confused right there
    i do not have to spend hours keyboarding to get it to run
    huh? i never spend hours to get an installed program to run , you click it and it opens in milliseconds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast