Thread: Firefox Snap as Default in 21.10

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Firefox Snap as Default in 21.10

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    I'm curious.

Has anyone had trouble free use of snaps?
    And I'm curious as well.
    If I want to view libreoffice help which now always shows as read from a local version on /usr/share will that be viewable in a snap version of firefox? It it's not possible it will be a huge problem for many LO users.

Lack of personal choice is snap's biggest problem for me!
    Last edited by ajgreeny; September 22nd, 2021 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Correction of LibreOffice Local help pathway

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

On my Ubuntu 21.10 I have the .deb version of Firefox preinstalled and the snap version installed from Ubuntu software. The snap version takes about 15 seconds to start despite having an nvme disk but once started seems ok.
    The only problem i found is with Google Earth where i have a message
    Unfortunately your computer does not support WebGL graphics acceleration; Google Earth cannot be loaded
    Hmm. While your browser seems to support WebGL, it is disabled or unavailable. If possible, please ensure that you are running the latest drivers for your video card.
    On the same installation with Firefox .deb google earth works fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    I'm curious.

Has anyone had trouble free use of snaps?
    I don't think so .I've had a few that work very well, but the Chromium snap has had issues on three different operating systems. If they are to be "universal" it would follow that testing on many different snap capable operating systems would be required. I would hope individual packagers are doing more then then testing on their own system and uploading. I suspect some packages will be abandoned as maintainers no longer have time or move on to other operating systems just like the PPA system.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

It is well known that the chromium snap cannot use hardware acceleration (but it works for chromium from the ppa). I guess when people say they have no problem with snap that means their use cases are accommodated.

The right question should not be "does it works for you?" ("you" might have different needs than I) but whether the snap has the same functionalities as the .deb version.

I think the argument for Firefox snap makes no sense. This is something that gets regular updated anyway. Maybe it is just me, but I would rather wait a day or two for the update to get a fully functional version than to grab an update as soon as possible but it might be crippled in some ways.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; September 22nd, 2021 at 06:27 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I do not use snaps at all in my system (Xubuntu 20.04) and have even removed snapd as well as all the infrastructure required to install and use them.

This has caused absolutely no difficulties or problems at all for me, and should firefox become a snap by default I shall still remove all the snap infrastructure and install firefox using one of the alternative methods, probably simply with the .tar.gz archive available direct from Mozilla, assuming, of course, that it is still available.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Its hard to find the latest, but "ungoogled-chromium_93.0.4577.82_1.vaapi_linux.tar.xz" works like firefox, in that you install into a folder
    "/opt" , then copy the .desktop to autostart.

The more popular one is version 91, but I keep getting "Aw, Snap!" something went wrong. Not so using version 93. I like the Appimage, but can't find 93, only 91.
    Anyway, here is ungoogled-chromium_93.0.4577.82_1.vaapi_linux.tar.xz

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123