Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firefox Snap as Default in 21.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Firefox Snap as Default in 21.10

This looks like an interesting development.

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2021/09/...x-snap-default

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Firefox Snap as Default in 21.10

There are some Ubuntu users who purge snap from there systems which would cause them to find another default browser. I have been using the Firefox ESR PPA for other reasons and I hope that remains available but I won't count on it.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

@tea for one

If you haven't seen it, I'd recommend reading the official notice for it all - https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/featu...-desktop/24210

(it's a somewhat busy thread, same as the `chromium` one was many cycles ago)

Beans

Hmm. I'm going to have to find an alternative browser. That's a shame - I have used firefox since it first launched.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by guiverc View Post
    @tea for one

If you haven't seen it, I'd recommend reading the official notice for it all - https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/featu...-desktop/24210

(it's a somewhat busy thread, same as the `chromium` one was many cycles ago)
    Yes, I had a look at the thread and some info is difficult to find.

For example:-

I was trying to find out if there was going to be a deb packaged version of Firefox in the 21.10 repository?
    It was clear that Mozilla would offer a deb but it looked like you would have to go to their website.

I was also interested to read any comments about the Firefox version supplied with Xubuntu 21.10 or Lubuntu 21.10?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

An alternative way to continue with Firefox could be to use the .tar.gz direct from Mozilla, unpack it into a folder in /opt and use the executable file in that as I currently do in debian; it works well and automatically updates if you set it to do so.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I do use FStable, FDeveloper and FNightly from DL places like this; https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo.../releasenotes/ ... From long ago and in 21.10 ...
    Code:
    :~$ ll fire*
    firefox-nightly:
    укупно 12
    drwxrwxr-x  3 zika zika 4096 сеп 19 11:57 .
    drwxr-xr-x  8 zika zika 4096 сеп 19 11:57 firefox
    drwxr-xr-x 28 zika zika 4096 сеп 19 11:51 ..

firefox-developer:
    укупно 12
    drwxrwxr-x  3 zika zika 4096 сеп 19 08:19 .
    drwxr-xr-x  8 zika zika 4096 сеп 19 08:19 firefox

firefox-stable:
    укупно 12
    drwxrwxr-x  3 zika zika 4096 сеп 19 08:18 .
    drwxr-xr-x  8 zika zika 4096 сеп 19 08:18 firefox
    Code:
    :~$ cat f?.sh
    ...firefox-developer/firefox/firefox --private --start-maximized & exit
    ...firefox-nightly/firefox/firefox --private --start-maximized & exit
    ...firefox-stable/firefox/firefox --private --start-maximized & exit
    Last edited by zika; September 19th, 2021 at 11:13 AM.
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    I was also interested to read any comments about the Firefox version supplied with Xubuntu 21.10 or Lubuntu 21.10?
    I can only provide my understanding, which is flavors will not be impacted for impish or 21.10.

Note: from here on I've got my Lubuntu hat on, ie. I'm speaking from my understanding as a member of the Lubuntu team

Our seed can be found here where you'll note we use `firefox` from main Ubuntu.

We have received no notification of change for 21.10/impish, only for the next jj release. It is my belief that detail applies to all flavors. However this is my understanding only.

(I was QA-testing Ubuntu impish yesterday; yet it didn't even occur to me to look at how firefox was delivered... the manifest appears to match my own impish system though which uses deb)

-- additional thoughts (Lubuntu hat off) --

my primary box is development thus is currently impish; but has multiple DEs installed including Ubuntu (ie. GNOME), so I'm expecting to see changes occur on this box first. I personally am expecting firefox as a snap (ubuntu-desktop) and the deb to remain (lubuntu-desktop & xubuntu-desktop i have installed) whilst still on 'impish'.

I expect to see firefox as a snap appear on pure Lubuntu jj systems in mid-November to early- Dec, but when it hits will be a decision of the Ubuntu desktop team plan of action. this is my estimate only though.

if I'm QA-testing or looking at pure Lubuntu systems, I use other boxes; & not my main 'bloated' primary system (I may use Lubuntu/LXQt most days; but I'm not exclusive to it; besides this system is somewhat heavily modified). On the other boxes I don't update, just re-install so it's always a fresh image of our latest (which helps to identify issues early I feel).
    Last edited by guiverc; September 20th, 2021 at 12:44 PM. Reason: added additional thoughts

Beans
    Distro

@guiverc

Thank you for the info - very informative.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    An alternative way to continue with Firefox could be to use the .tar.gz direct from Mozilla, unpack it into a folder in /opt and use the executable file in that as I currently do in debian; it works well and automatically updates if you set it to do so.
    I agree with this remark by ajgreeny. Also, no one has yet mentioned that Firefox comes as a Flatpak as well. I have been using that version in a number of installations for quite a while.

Other distros, like Fedora, Arch and Manjaro, are unlikely to go with a snap version of Firefox as default. Fedora is pro Flatpak - they even have their own Flatpak repository.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast