Thread: wifi adaptor

Beans

wifi adaptor

I am having problems with my wifi. Its very strange. I connect, get on the net, and then the wireless starts stopping (for less than a minute) and then starts up again (for between 5 and 15 minutes before it stops working again. Its not the wifi signal. I know that because I am writing this, right now, on the same wifi signal with no problem at all. This tells me that its either my wifi adaptor or my computer. I have a little connection of adaptors and I have tried them all. Some connected, some have not. I just put a new copy of 20.04.3 on a system that needed it. Its working but oddly and this is the last problem and its driving me nuts. I have one adaptor which worked better than all the others (connected faster, etc). So this is the one I am currently using and may also be a source of my problem. I had bought a new wifi computer adaptor about a month ago. It was working fine before I put the new system on and now isn't even recognized by the system. This means, I think, that ubuntu doesn't run with all wifi adaptors.

Anyway, I would appreciate any thoughts on what is going on here and also anybody's thought on which wifi computer adaptor works best with ubuntu. Many of the adaptors I have are recognized by the system, for instance, but cam't seem to connect with the network.

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you.................
    Memory: 7.5gb
    Processor: AMD Fx(tm)-6300 six-core processor x 6
    Graphics: Nvidia NV84 Resolution: 1920x1080 pixels

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: wifi adaptor

Start with https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....&#post13614520 and if that doesn't fix it, see the wireless script link in my signature and post results

Beans

Thanks for the reply. Before I start with the stuff at https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....&#post13614520 I have two problems. The first is checking the router. Do you know of any programs that can do that for me? (I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to routers but I can research it if necessary. I really don't
    understand the code thing. Here is what I have:

[CODE]greg@movies:~$ sudo iw reg get
    \global
    country 00: DFS-UNSET
    (2402 - 2472 @ 40), (6, 20), (N/A)
    (2457 - 2482 @ 20), (6, 20), (N/A), AUTO-BW, PASSIVE-SCAN
    (2474 - 2494 @ 20), (6, 20), (N/A), NO-OFDM, PASSIVE-SCAN
    (5170 - 5250 @ 80), (6, 20), (N/A), AUTO-BW, PASSIVE-SCAN
    (5250 - 5330 @ 80), (6, 20), (0 ms), DFS, AUTO-BW, PASSIVE-SCAN
    (5490 - 5730 @ 160), (6, 20), (0 ms), DFS, PASSIVE-SCAN
    (5735 - 5835 @ 80), (6, 20), (N/A), PASSIVE-SCAN
    (57240 - 63720 @ 2160), (N/A, 0), (N/A)
    I then went to a place for country codes. That one really confused me. then I just googled for international codes for countries and the us was either 1 or .us (I think). All in all which code should I use? (I am a bit ignorant)

Anyway ....................

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

If in the US use
    Code:
    sudo iw reg set US

Beans

thanks for the replies.

My wifi seems to have fixed itself. Now my wired is acting up but I think its in the connections to the router. I will, however, mark this as solved.

Beans

I have a collection of WIFI adaptors that do not work Linux. Then I started searching for adaptors that actually work with Linux and found such in EBAY. I bought one, it came with a little CD. I ran the cd and they explained how to make the device work with Linux. Its a two step deal. You go out and get a driver and then are given the command to install said driver. I did that. Then, for the heck of it, I took one of the adapters that won't work with Linux and gave it a try and, IT WORKED! I tested a few that didn't work and, now they do! So, if anybody else has adaptors that won't work under Linux buy yourself one that comes with a little cd to make it work with Linux, install the driver and now your adaptors will work!

I would send the stuff that came with the one that works with Linux but I am not sure that would be legal but you can buy one, with a cd, for around 5 bucks and you will then be able to run the ones that wouldn't.