Thread: Is an Epson Workforce WF-2835 printer compatible with 20.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Is an Epson Workforce WF-2835 printer compatible with 20.04?

The title says it all - does anybody know?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Post Re: Is an Epson Workforce WF-2835 printer compatible with 20.04?

The EPSON® WorkForce 2830 Series drivers are available in Red Hat RPM format from Download.EBZ.Epson.net. Recommend install the alien package first:
    Code:
    sudo apt install alien
    which should mark Depends for co-installation.
    nVIDIA® nForce® chipsets require discrete GPU's up to Pascal and appropriate nVIDIA Kernel modules.
    Most intel® ExpressSets™ and AMD® RS-Series are fully supported in open source.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Is an Epson Workforce WF-2835 printer compatible with 20.04?

Thank you, I'll give it a go and post results later.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Problem!! The link to the drivers doesn't work: I don't have permission...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I get the forbidden message too.

A brief google search came up with this: https://www.freeprinterdriverdownloa...iver-download/

The 64-bit Linux and Ubuntu download links appear to be for deb packages, so you won't need alien. That all being said your original question was asking whether the Epson WF-2835 is compatible with Ubuntu 20.04, which to me reads as though you are asking this before committing yourself to purchase of the machine, rather than trying to get an Epson machine set up. Perhaps you could confirm which. I'm afraid I can't help any further as I have no recent experience with Epson printers, but good luck anyway.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    I get the forbidden message too.

A brief google search came up with this: https://www.freeprinterdriverdownloa...iver-download/

The 64-bit Linux and Ubuntu download links appear to be for deb packages, so you won't need alien. That all being said your original question was asking whether the Epson WF-2835 is compatible with Ubuntu 20.04, which to me reads as though you are asking this before committing yourself to purchase of the machine, rather than trying to get an Epson machine set up. Perhaps you could confirm which. I'm afraid I can't help any further as I have no recent experience with Epson printers, but good luck anyway.
    Thanks Coffeecat, you are right, I am considering buying the Epson. I have had no luck with printers since getting 20.04. I want an ink jet suitable for home use and preferably one which will work 'out-of-the-box' rather than have to search out drivers online. I had an HP deskjet that I rescued from a neighbours bin which worked straight away but has now expired.

If anybody can suggest a printer which will fit my bill... Please do, things are getting desperate here!!

Beans

Beans

https://www.turboprint.info/printer_...WF2830DWF.html
    Maybe TurboPrint can help. It's not free in any way (Not open source and does cost money) but may work. Could be an avenue to explore but the site says the scanner doesn't work. Could send them an email to see if their software will make you able to print at least (costs 40 Euros)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

OK, I've took the plunge and bought the Workforce 2835 and downloaded the driver from your website. Problem is that I get something called an image scan bundle containing: 'Core' a folder, 'Plugins', a folder, Install.sh, a shell script and 'Readme'. Now I'm at a loss because I'm instructed to double click the folder and choose: Next/Continue/Install. Nothing I do gives me that option. I've clicked 'Extract' so now I have the bundle on my home page but how do I proceed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

On reading the 'Readme' I see that installation involves entering a line of code in the terminal, this I am reluctant to do as there are warnings that it might not work, that some parts are 'non free' and can be left out of the install and so on... Unless anybody knows of a less complicated driver, not involving Terminal that is available, I am thinking of returning the printer and... well, giving up. All the other distros of Ubuntu I've had have just worked with my old printer, but not 20.04.