Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HP printer only works once

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: HP printer only works once

Quote Originally Posted by 3nd View Post
    or you could connect printer to your home network ( i assume you have a router) , so you won't have to buy a wifi card
    This is a printer that is located in a relative's home. I can access it using TeamViewer and rest it, but that is a hassle that I would like to eliminate.

brian_p is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    No good. I did what you suggested. As usual, after removing and re-installing the hplip, the printer printed just fine. Waited a few minutes while I did other things on the machine and tried printing again. No probs. Rebooted and tried to print: nothing. Document is showing as waiting. I cannot release it. If I try to print it again I get a message that the printer is not found and it suggests a bad or disconnected cable. I have tried another cable just to be sure.
    The 3630 is a modern printer. The technique I gave you replaces HPLIP as a manager of printing. In fact, HPLIP may as well be purged from the system.
    Code:
    systemctl status ipp-usb
    should show the service as active. Another check would be to give
    Code:
    avahi-browse -rt _ipp._tcp
    Code:
    avahi-browse -rt _uscan._tcp
    This printer does have wireless capability and I wonder if I would put a wifi card in the PC if that might make it work better?
    Given a sound USB connection (cable, external USB HUB etc), I cannot see it making any dufference.
    Brian.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by brian_p View Post
    The 3630 is a modern printer. The technique I gave you replaces HPLIP as a manager of printing. In fact, HPLIP may as well be purged from the system.
    Code:
    systemctl status ipp-usb
    should show the service as active. Another check would be to give
    Code:
    avahi-browse -rt _ipp._tcp
    Code:
    avahi-browse -rt _uscan._tcp

Given a sound USB connection (cable, external USB HUB etc), I cannot see it making any dufference.
    The first command did show it as being active. However, when I went to exit out of the terminal, it said that there was a program running and closing the terminal would terminate the program???

Beans

The first command did show it as being active. However, when I went to exit out of the terminal, it said that there was a program running and closing the terminal would terminate the program???
    Pass on that.

How about the result of the other two commands?
    Brian.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

betty@betty-p6-2316s:~$ avahi-browse -rt _ipp._tcp
    + lo IPv4 HP DeskJet 3630 series [452FF8] (USB) Internet Printer local
    = lo IPv4 HP DeskJet 3630 series [452FF8] (USB) Internet Printer local
    hostname = [betty-p6-2316s.local]
    address = [127.0.0.1]
    port = [60000]
    txt = ["air=none" "rp=ipp/print" "priority=50" "kind=document,envelope,photo,postcard" "PaperMax=legal-A4" "URF=CP1,MT1-2-8-9-10-11,PQ3-4-5,RS300,SRGB24,OB9,OFU0,W8-16,DEVW8-16,DEVRGB24-48,ADOBERGB24-48,IS1,V1.4" "UUID=1c852a4d-b800-1f08-abcd-9457a5452ff8" "Color=T" "Duplex=F" "note=" "qtotal=1" "usb_MDL=DeskJet 3630 series" "usb_MFG=HP" "usb_CMD=PCL3GUI,PJL,Automatic,JPEG,PCLM,AppleRast er,PWGRaster,DW-PCL,802.11,DESKJET,DYN" "ty=HP DeskJet 3630 series" "product=(HP DeskJet 3630 series)" "pdl=application/vnd.hp-PCL,image/jpeg,application/PCLm,image/urf,image/pwg-raster,application/octet-stream" "txtvers=1" "adminurl=http://localhost:60000/#hId-pgAirPrint" "Fax=F" "Scan=T"]
    betty@betty-p6-2316s:~$ avahi-browse -rt _uscan._tcp
    + lo IPv4 HP DeskJet 3630 series [452FF8] (USB) _uscan._tcp local
    = lo IPv4 HP DeskJet 3630 series [452FF8] (USB) _uscan._tcp local
    hostname = [betty-p6-2316s.local]
    address = [127.0.0.1]
    port = [60000]
    txt = ["duplex=F" "is=platen" "cs=color,grayscale" "UUID=1c852a4d-b800-1f08-abcd-9457a5452ff8" "adminurl=http://localhost:60000/#hId-pgAirPrint" "representation=http://localhost:60000/webApps/images/printer-small.png" "pdl=application/octet-stream,application/pdf,image/jpeg" "ty=DeskJet 3630 series" "rs=eSCL" "vers=2.5" "txtvers=1"]
    betty@betty-p6-2316s:~$

Beans

The outputs of the two commands look OK to me. From my perspective ipp-usb is functioning correctly and should manage printing before and after a reboot. It shouldn't make any difference, but you could be daring and purge HPLIP.
    Brian.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

HPILP was purged before I installed ipp-usb. After installing, the printer worked until PC was rebooted. After reboot, printer failed to work. I then reinstalled hplip and it worked.......until rebooted.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    HPILP was purged before I installed ipp-usb. After installing, the printer worked until PC was rebooted. After reboot, printer failed to work. I then reinstalled hplip and it worked.......until rebooted.
    I really haven't any definitive answer to this. It is beginning to look like some fundamental issue. Try backing up cupsd.conf and doing
    Code:
    cp /usr/share/cups/cupsd.conf.default /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
    Code:
    systemctl restart cups
    No more ideas now. Apart from trying wireless.
    Brian.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

betty@betty-p6-2316s:~$ cp /usr/share/cups/cupsd.conf.default /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
    cp: cannot create regular file '/etc/cups/cupsd.conf': Permission denied

Beans

Code:
    sudo cp /usr/share/cups/cupsd.conf.default /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
    Brian.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast