Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HP printer only works once

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: HP printer only works once

Alright.....the plot thickens. It will still only print until rebooted. BUT, before, when it wouldn't print, I would go into Settings -> Printers and be able to see that there was a queued item waiting to be printed. I could NOT release it. But now, I can release it to be printed and it prints fine. While this would be OK for me, this computer is being used by a 91 year old women! There is no way I will be able to show her how to do this and her remember it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The USB cable may be good, but have you tried experimenting with this as with any generic USB device: Unplug the USB from the computer or the printer and then plug it back in again?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    The USB cable may be good, but have you tried experimenting with this as with any generic USB device: Unplug the USB from the computer or the printer and then plug it back in again?
    Too many times to count. I have been repairing computers and audio equipment for too many years and that is usually the first thing that I try: disconnect everything, turn off and remove any batteries, wait 5 minutes, try again. It still amazes me how many things can be "fixed" that way.

This problem has really been irritating. I have never ever had any issue with an HP printer and Linux: they just work. My Laser printer here was turned on when I installed 20.04 (I never do upgrades: always clean installs) and 20.04 connected WIRELESSLY to it without any input from me whatsoever! You just can't get any simpler than that!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I've been at this since the '70s myself, but those "unplug it and plug it back in" problems are the ones you really kick yourself over.

Well, since I've always used HP products because they just work, color me as flummoxed as you are on this one.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Lemme add another chapter to this ongoing saga:

She called last night saying that she couldn't print again. I logged into her computer and "released" the job that was stuck. It printed. I asked her to print something else and it printed just fine with no intervention from me. So, something happens on reboot that causes it not to print. Once it is released of the stuck job, it is fine. Until the next reboot. Sigh.

brian_p is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    Lemme add another chapter to this ongoing saga:

She called last night saying that she couldn't print again. I logged into her computer and "released" the job that was stuck. It printed. I asked her to print something else and it printed just fine with no intervention from me. So, something happens on reboot that causes it not to print. Once it is released of the stuck job, it is fine. Until the next reboot. Sigh.
    USB does not appear to be an issue because printing takes place. The printing filtering system also does not appear to be an issue because, again, printing takes place. The user experiences the problem with HPLIP and driverless printing with ipp-usb.

The only printing services I can think of being involved in a reboot are cups and cups-browsed. Suggestions:

• Print. Restart cups. Still printing?

• Print. Restart cups-browsed. Still printing?

• Leave the machine on overnight (or longer). cups is scheduled to restart itself in every 24 hour period. (Check the process ID of cupsd). Still printing?
    Brian.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Just saw this posted today......sounds very similar! https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2467793

brian_p is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    Just saw this posted today......sounds very similar! https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2467793
    If you can get any useful information from this user, you are welcome to try.
    Brian.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Well, lemme update this. 3 days ago, I had a print job being held......and I was able to release it. She called yesterday and stated that she had successfully printed something without having to do anything other than hit the PRINT button! So, at the moment, it is working. Will update further when I get info.

Beans

Hi.. I'm having similar problems with my HP 8020.. latest attempt (today) I got from running hp-doctor. As others have reported with Ubuntu 20.04, I found that the ppd files couldn't be read. I changed the permissions on those to 664 to correct that, but subsequently running hp-doctor still said it couldn't be read. In addition, I connect via ip address, so I noticed it didn't have permission to access the address. You'll get this if you connect with wireless. If you have a firewall running, you'll need to tell the firewall to allow the computer to talk to the printer. With 'ufw', that would be something like 'sudo ufw allow to 10.0.0.???' (replace question marks with your correct address). You will also probably want to do 'sudo allow from ...' to get messages back from the printer (ink status, etc.). I don't understand why this occurs myself, so hoping someone can add info about it all. Maybe 'apparmour' interferes along with the firewall? Hoping all this can be fixed soon. It's crazy printing once and then needing to reinstall the printer next time I reboot.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123