Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: / full 91%

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

/ full 91%

I've been here before (long time ago) but struggling I'm afraid. I have separate / and /home on different partitions - / is 30GB and is 91% full! I have mounted / as /mnt/nvmeOn1p2 and have the following info:

Code:
    dad@dadubuntu:/mnt/nvme0n1p2$ sudo du -hx --max-depth=1 / 2> /dev/null
    716M	/var
    88K	/tmp
    6.8G	/usr
    4.0K	/srv
    808M	/opt
    8.0K	/media
    108M	/boot
    8.0K	/mnt
    3.5M	/root
    4.0K	/cdrom
    206M	/sambashare
    24M	/etc
    16K	/lost+found
    10G	/
    This is where I getting a little confused. I think the above tells me / or /dev/nvme0n1p2 is 10G in size (I have confirmed this by looking at /mnt/nvme0n1p2 via caja). However, gparted is telling me / or /dev/nvme0n1p2 is 30Gb and using 25Gb. I have recently been playing with my rdiff-backup setup, which may not be relevant, when I started to get something like .... 'your root system is 91% full'.... message.
    Last edited by Quarkrad; September 16th, 2021 at 09:19 AM.

Beans

Re: / full 91%

What is the output of:
    Code:
    sudo parted -l
    uname -a
    lsb_release -a
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro

Code:
    dad@dadubuntu:~$ sudo parted -l
    [sudo] password for dad: 
    Model: ATA KINGSTON SA400S3 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 120GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: gpt
    Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End    Size   File system  Name  Flags
     1      1049kB  120GB  120GB  ntfs               msftdata

Model: ATA Hitachi HUA72302 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sdb: 2000GB
    Partition Table: msdos
    Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
     1      1049kB  2000GB  2000GB  primary  ext4

Model: ATA WDC WD20EZRX-22D (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sdc: 2000GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
    Partition Table: msdos
    Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
     1      1049kB  2000GB  2000GB  primary  ext4

Model: ATA KINGSTON SA400S3 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sdd: 240GB
    Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End    Size    File system  Name                          Flags
     1      1049kB  106MB  105MB   fat32        EFI system partition          boot, esp
     2      106MB   123MB  16.8MB               Microsoft reserved partition  msftres
     3      123MB   240GB  239GB   ntfs         Basic data partition          msftdata
     4      240GB   240GB  533MB   ntfs                                       hidden, diag

Model: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB (nvme)
    Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 500GB
    Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name                  Flags
     1      1049kB  211MB   210MB   fat32        EFI System Partition  boot, esp
     2      211MB   31.7GB  31.5GB  ext4
     3      31.7GB  78.9GB  47.2GB  ext4
     4      78.9GB  289GB   210GB   ext4
     5      289GB   500GB   211GB   ext4

dad@dadubuntu:~$ uname -a
    Linux dadubuntu 5.4.0-84-generic #94-Ubuntu SMP Thu Aug 26 20:27:37 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    dad@dadubuntu:~$ lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
    Description:	Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS
    Release:	20.04
    Codename:	focal

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@quarkrad

I do not understand the command that you have used. Please keep that in mind. I think that you are confusing the / partition size with the / folder size. In the / partition there are folders including / and /root.

On my system Disk Usage Analyser is showing / folder as full. Which it would do because it is a folder that can vary in size. Or, so I think. The Disks utility is showing my / partition as 30% full. It is a 40GB partition with 28 GB free.

All of this stuff confuses me as well. Think of the partition as / and not as root. I do that and it becomes easier to understand. If you are getting messages that your / partition is getting full then you know what to do. Use GParted to expand the size of the partition.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

gparted says it's full, but du doesn't see the files taking all that space. Could it be that some files are hiding underneath a mountpoint? We occasionally have people here who wrote their backups to /media/backups whilst their backup drive was unmounted, then mounted their backup drive and wondered why their disk was full.

Beans
    Distro

My backup drive is auto mounted via fstab - however, there is a possibility that something odd has happened. I would like to investigate this. How would I go about searching for these backup or partial backup files that could be residing on /dev/nvme0n1p2?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If data in a normal folder, you can use ncdu.
    change to / & run ncdu, if you see a large folder, you then click on it to see what is in it.

But it could be you deleted files as root user and then root's trash has data? That often is hidden and since trash not shown.
    to also see hidden files.
    sudo ncdu
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

The way gparted shows your root file system is mounted appears strange to me. It shows the mount point as /./mnt/nvme0n1p2. I would expect it just to be "/". Can you post the contents of /etc/fstab?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Quarkrad View Post
    My backup drive is auto mounted via fstab - however, there is a possibility that something odd has happened. I would like to investigate this. How would I go about searching for these backup or partial backup files that could be residing on /dev/nvme0n1p2?
    You can unmount the other filesystems so that no mountpoints within your root partition are in use, then search again. It may be easier to do so from a live disk.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    If data in a normal folder, you can use ncdu.
    change to / & run ncdu, if you see a large folder, you then click on it to see what is in it.
    Interesting tool, never heard of it. It doesn't appear to be installed by default. I guess the ncdu package needs to be installed.

Quote Originally Posted by philhughes View Post
    The way gparted shows your root file system is mounted appears strange to me. It shows the mount point as /./mnt/nvme0n1p2. I would expect it just to be "/". Can you post the contents of /etc/fstab?
    Strange indeed. Having the root partition simultaneously mounted at / and /mnt/nvme0n1p2/ may confuse some tools.

Beans
    Distro

I'm struggling here - and beginning to wondering if I have a problem at all! I did get a message/pop-up about / being full but the more I look into this the more I am confused.

gparted shows this odd mount point /mnt/nvmen0n1p2 because I created that mount point yesterday. I was hoping to be able to 'see' what was in that partition. I (think) I understand everything is under / irrespective of physical partitions but as this / partition is the one that is full I'm struggling to use the terminal to examine just that partition.

I have a basic Desktop with nothing particularly complicated on it - although there are some kmv environments but they reside on a separate hd to my / and /home nvme ssd. These kvm machines are accessed via /media/dad/virt.

Since 8.04 when I joined / has always had a small footprint and remained so (to a degree) whereas /home can/does grow. I've always set my / partition to 20GB and had no problems. So ..... a few months ago when I installed a new 500GB ssd and rebuilt I allocated 30GB for / and 47GB for /home. I thought 30GB for / was far too large but I had the space (and when I installed 20.04 indeed the footprint of / was small). My computer usage hasn't really changed so I'm confused/intrigued why / is now 25.17 GB - when I installed 20.04 I cannot remember what size / was what, but it was way small than 10GB, now it has doubled????

I've had a go with ncdu but need more time with it as I need (again possibly confused) it to show me just my nvme0n1p2 partition. I'm going to have a go at unmounting via a live cd as see if this helps me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast