Thread: Wireless and wired network UNCLAIMED after switching to open source display driver

Beans

Wireless and wired network UNCLAIMED after switching to open source display driver

Long story short, I switched from NVIDIA 470 proprietary driver to the X.Org open source display driver on my Dell G3 running 20.04. Rebooted and all of a sudden I have zero internet connectivity. Which means I can't reinstall the proprietary driver.

Doing a sudo lshw -C networks shows that both the wireless and wired network conrollers are "UNCLAIMED".

How can I fix this if I don't have an internet connection - Download the proprietary driver onto a USB stick?

Beans

Re: Wireless and wired network UNCLAIMED after switching to open source display drive

Ok, DL'd the proprietary driver to a USB stick, attempted to install it. Got an error that I needed 'cc' in my path since I didn't have gcc/built-essentials. Put that on the USB and has errors installing that due to unmet dependencies. Looks like I need to buy a USB wireless adapter. This sucks.

Beans

Re: Wireless and wired network UNCLAIMED after switching to open source display drive

What is the output of:
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C network

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

How did you do this "switch" from the Nvidia driver? When we use Software & Updates>Additional Drivers tab to switch between proprietary and open source video drivers it does not usually result in the Ethernet and WiFi drivers being removed also. On my system Ethernet and WiFI have different drivers anyway. This may not be the case with your system.

Is it possible that a setting in the BIOS/UEFI has disabled the Ethernet and WiFi adapters? Check to see if the BIOS/UEFI is recognising the existence of Ethernet and WiFi adapters.

Another thing to try is to load a recovery mode kernel and use the recovery menu. At the Grub boot menu select Advanced Options for Ubuntu and then select a Linux kernel with recovery mode. At the recovery menu select Network, That will set up an internet connection using the settings already put into the system.

If that fails to establish an internet connection and you are confident that there is an actual connection between the router/hub and the Internet Service Provider, then it may well be that the drivers for both Ethernet and WiFi have been removed.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

I did the switch using the Additional Drivers tab. This is something I've done before with different machines and never experienced this issue, I have no idea why it killed networking. Bluetooth doesn't work either.

All networking is enabled in the BIOS.

I went into recovery mode one kernel back, turned on networking, and everything came up fine and I could connect to wireless. So the hardware is ok. I went ahead and reinstalled the proprietary driver, and discovered I already had build-essential installed. However, when I reboot into the latest kernel not in recovery mode, networking is still disabled. How can I enable it? I tried everything on this page, but nothing worked:
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/2070...ing-networking

When I tried the sudo service networking start command, I got an error stating: command not found

Just yesterday the latest kernel worked fine with my network hardware, I have not updated the kernel recently, so I don't believe this is a kernel incompatibility issue.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ActionParsnip View Post
    What is the output of:
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C network
    Code:
    *-network UNCLAIMED       
           description: Network controller
           product: Wireless-AC 9560 [Jefferson Peak]
           vendor: Intel Corporation
           physical id: 14.3
           bus info: pci@0000:00:14.3
           version: 10
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix cap_list
           configuration: latency=0
           resources: memory:a43a4000-a43a7fff
      *-network UNCLAIMED
           description: Ethernet controller
           product: RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
           version: 15
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix bus_master cap_list
           configuration: latency=0
           resources: ioport:3000(size=256) memory:a4204000-a4204fff memory:a4200000-a4203fff

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Look at the logs to see what else was removed during the purging.
    At least for Ubuntu package management look in /var/log/apt, there are two files, history.log and term.log.
    Look at history.log as it lists what is what and when it was done. The term.log breaks down the how it was done.

Also, which driver? The NVIDIA drivers built for Ubuntu or the driver from NVIDIA directly?
    Were these the drivers from Ubuntu or somewhere else, I guess is what I'm asking.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful