Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Older CPU out-pacing newer one

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Older CPU out-pacing newer one

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Do you have latest firmware for both UEFI and SSD?
    That can make a difference.
    Looks like there's a BIOS/UEFI update for the Lenovo Flex 1570 available on their website, but it's in EXE format. The instructions say to install it through Windows....
    I'm thinking that running a BIOS update through Wine would be a bad idea, but I have no idea.
    I guess I could wipe my laptop, install Windows, install the BIOS update, then wipe the laptop again, and finally put Kubuntu back.
    Oh, Linux... if only I had known.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Some Lenovo's now update thru Linux, but it looks like no Flex models.
    Devices using LVFS for firmware updates
    https://fwupd.org/lvfs/devicelist

Many UEFI can update directly from within UEFI if you download the update file & copy into a FAT32 partition, as that is the only file system UEFI can read. Many vendors offer just the update file, and the .exe for Windows users.

Do not know if something like this also works?
    HP UEFI update - extract .bin from .exe file and copy into FAT32 partition.
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/5391...234098#1234098 &
    https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...41775#M1205498
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Did you read what you posted?
    Code:
    Vulnerability Itlb multihit:     KVM: Mitigation: VMX unsupported 
    Vulnerability L1tf:              Mitigation; PTE Inversion 
    Vulnerability Mds:               Mitigation; Clear CPU buffers; SMT vulnerable 
    Vulnerability Meltdown:          Mitigation; PTI 
    Vulnerability Spec store bypass: Mitigation; Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp 
    Vulnerability Spectre v1:        Mitigation; usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization 
    Vulnerability Spectre v2:        Mitigation; Full generic retpoline, IBPB conditional, IBRS_FW, STIBP conditional, RSB filling 
    Vulnerability Srbds:             Mitigation; Microcode 
    Vulnerability Tsx async abort:   Not affected
    For some Intel CPUs, these mitigations drastically impact performance. Some just a few %, but others 20%+. If you want more performance, research each of those and decide if disabling the mitigation is something you want.
    It found while the impacts vary tremendously from virtually nothing too significant on an application-by-application level, the collective whack is ~15-16 per cent on all Intel CPUs without Hyper-Threading disabled. Disabling increases the overall performance impact to 20 per cent (for the 7980XE), 24.8 per cent (8700K) and 20.5 per cent (6800K).
    Ref: https://www.fudzilla.com/news/pc-har...ow-intel-chips

Sorry, finding non-Windows information on the performance hit wasn't easy and I'm not exactly loving the fudzilla.com link. Maybe your google-fu is stronger?

I'd try an older kernel. The 5.11.x kernels seem to have more issues than normal. Also, don't confuse "new" with "better". Running a non-LTS OS is a little scary to me. Canonical often puts poorly tested software into their non-LTS releases. The only time I've run a non-LTS release, outside testing, was when the LTS release refused to install on my new-ish hardware. Even then, the non-LTS was run only for a few months until the LTS was released with support for the new CPU/GPU in that 1 system.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Did you read what you posted?
    Being totally honest - despite being a Linux user for 12 years, and actually ditching Windows entirely in 2018, I'm still just an end-user. I don't know what to do with that output. I have absolutely no idea how to turn a mitigation off. (EDIT) - I found this. Does this look like the right way to do it?
    https://sleeplessbeastie.eu/2020/03/...lnerabilities/

I'd try an older kernel.... Running a non-LTS OS is a little scary to me.
    This laptop was running 18.04 before running 20.04. I finally just got sick of the performance, and I've decided to dive into this issue, and decide once and for all if I need to replace this machine, hence trying out 21.04.
    I've tried various flavors of Ubuntu, both LTS and non-LTS, Deepin, Manjaro, Solus, etc. and this machine takes forever to do anything no matter which distro I'm running.

I did find one other piece of information strange though. The laptop has an Nvidia sticker on the deck, and Lenovo's website says that "some" of the 1570 models have a dedicated GPU.
    However, when I open Driver Manager from System Settings, it says no proprietary drivers are available for my system, and my System Information page says I'm only running an integrated Intel GPU via Mesa drivers. I wonder if the GPU is dead? -but wouldn't that show some error somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Do not know if something like this also works?
    HP UEFI update - extract .bin from .exe file and copy into FAT32 partition.
    I went ahead and created a post on the Lenovo forum, and told them I'm running Linux. We'll see if I get any BIOS update guidance. Kinda doubt it, but we'll see. Worst case scenario, I'll go digging through the basement for a Win7 install DVD, and run Windows long enough to install the update, just to rule that out.
    Last edited by bradleypariah; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:53 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bradleypariah View Post
    Worst case scenario, I'll go digging through the basement for a Win7 install DVD, and run Windows long enough to install the update, just to rule that out.
    You can download a Win10 "trial" version directly from MSFT. I think it won't update/patch, but for your needs, that could be a better answer? Also, not all BIOS update tools support Win7 at this point.

With your next machine purchase, might want to get one with a motherboard that supports BIOS updates directly - no OS needed. Many Asus MBs do that.

Beans

I don't know about yours but my Lenova laptop has an alphameric model number which indicates the complete original specification including all original options. Of course if you update anything that won't help but it should tell you if you have an Nvidia GPU in addition to the Intel.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
    I don't know about yours but my Lenova laptop has an alphameric model number which indicates the complete original specification including all original options. Of course if you update anything that won't help but it should tell you if you have an Nvidia GPU in addition to the Intel.
    Mine is a Flex 3 1570 "80JM"
    It has an Nvidia card.

Not sure when this got changed, but my discrete GPU was disabled in BIOS.
    I've got the 470 driver installed now, but the laptop is still slow.
    Last edited by bradleypariah; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro

For some Intel CPUs, these mitigations drastically impact performance. Some just a few %, but others 20%+. If you want more performance, research each of those and decide if disabling the mitigation is something you want.
    I have now disabled all mitigations, but this laptop is still considerably slower than one with lower specs.
    My HP with lower specs is still roughly twice as fast at everything, from booting up to opening a file browser. I've poked around in BIOS, and nothing indicates this machine is being purposefully hindered.
    I have opened the case, and the fan is completely clean. No dust or hair. The laptop never gets warmer than 45°C.
    I just don't get it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm guessing both use the same OS. You mentioned Kubuntu. Have you thought trying a lighter OS, say Lubuntu on both. Are they partitioned the same way, both use EFI, etc
    Compare services used on both:
    Code:
    systemctl list-unit-files --state=enabled --no-pager

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    I'm guessing both use the same OS. You mentioned Kubuntu. Have you thought trying a lighter OS, say Lubuntu on both.
    They are both running Kubuntu 21.04 right now. They are both fairly fresh installs, and they have the exact same set of apps.
    This is an issue I've been facing for months. The Lenovo is perceptibly slow on other distros too.
    I suppose Lubuntu might be faster than Kubuntu, but I don't merely want to speed up the Lenovo, I want to find out why the HP with an older SSD, two fewer GB of RAM, a slower CPU, and no GPU is still more than twice as fast.
    There's clearly something wrong with the Lenovo. I'm not expecting it to run The Witcher 3 on ultra or anything. I just expect it to act like a 6-year-old laptop, but it's acting like it's 20.
    It runs rock solid, but everything takes forever to load.
    I'm starting to wonder if it's because the Lenovo has single-channel memory, while the HP has two sticks? What else could it be?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast