Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lubuntu - root password at install time?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Lubuntu - root password at install time?

I think it is more inconvenient to log out of one account and then log in to an administrator account in order to run certain commands than it is to use "sudo" to temporarily become administrator.

Other distributions of Linux, such as Debian, require an administrator or root account to be set at install time as well as a user account. Administration tasks can only be done from the administrator account. The temptation is to login as root and continue working as root rather then logging out and logging back in as a standard user.

I mention these things because this discussion is taking place in the New Users section of the forum. As others have mentioned this subject holds dangers for new users. Even long time users can easily mess up.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

GhX6GZMB is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

The Username and Password entered during Lubuntu installation is for the "main" user who has sudo permissions.
    A normal $HOME directory tree will be set up for this user with "root" permissions.

The /root directory is normally "dead" and is basically needless.

I've worked with Lubuntu for over two years now, and have no problems prefacing terminal commands with "sudo" when needed. The first command entered will need a password, then you can just continue working (the sudo permission will time out after 10...15 min.).

In the file manager (PCManFM-Qt), just go under "Tools" and select "Open as root", then you can work with sudo permissions until you close the window.

I have NEVER had any need for su access. In fact, I'm haappy that it's not there. Far too tempting and dangerous.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I mention these things because this discussion is taking place in the New Users section of the forum. As others have mentioned this subject holds dangers for new users. Even long time users can easily mess up.
    +1. Thank you @grahammechanical.

This is the New to Ubuntu sub-forum. Giving advice on how to enable the root account and thus set a huge bear trap for oneself in a section provided especially for newbies is... questionable.

To those who so blithely give such instruction, please read and take to heart our forum root policy:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1486138

If you wish to instruct people to set a root password please include, at a minimum, the nature of the problem at hand (permissions) and information on how to lock the root account again.
    Last edited by coffeecat; September 14th, 2021 at 10:45 PM.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Thanks for the responses. So similar to Unix yet very different.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12