Thread: apt list --upgradable offers me php7.2* when I already have php7.3.19

Beans

apt list --upgradable offers me php7.2* when I already have php7.3.19

My web server has been offered php7.2 on apt list --upgradable, and yet I already have php7.3.19 installed. This seems odd behaviour, or is it not worth worrying about?

For now I have run
    Code:
    apt-mark hold php7.2*

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: apt list --upgradable offers me php7.2* when I already have php7.3.19

Are there any php7.2 packages left over? Php gets security updates from time to time, so I'd let those through ... or purge all the php7.2 packages.

Just because we've installed php7.3, if we didn't go through every place on the system that references php, some scripts could be still using the 7.2 versions. If it were me, I'd search all php scripts and "alternative" settings to ensure they point to 7.3 ... create an excellent backup (or at least an LVM snapshot), then purge all the 7.2 packages, reboot, and to some testing to ensure everything important is working on the website. This can take from 3 minutes to 48 hours, depending on your skills and knowledge. I know Linux, but not php, so I'd only do this when I have 3-5 hrs available to correct stuff.

I messed up and put 3 different php webapps on the same virtual machine, initially, they all used the same version, but over the years, the necessary version has changed for each of the webapps. Really wish that I'd used either different VMs for each or a different LXD container for each. Live and learn. At least I didn't mix the 30 webapps I maintain onto the same systems. Most are 1 app = 1 VM, but not with the php ones. My mistake. And don't get me started about the separate DBMS versions each supports. That's a different issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Where did the php7.3 version that come from?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Where did the php7.3 version that come from?
    That's the version I installed when I built it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So it's from source then?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    So it's from source then?
    Yep

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Are there any php7.2 packages left over? Php gets security updates from time to time, so I'd let those through ... or purge all the php7.2 packages.
    Ah, it seems php7.2 is indeed installed

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Just because we've installed php7.3, if we didn't go through every place on the system that references php, some scripts could be still using the 7.2 versions. If it were me, I'd search all php scripts and "alternative" settings to ensure they point to 7.3 ... create an excellent backup (or at least an LVM snapshot), then purge all the 7.2 packages, reboot, and to some testing to ensure everything important is working on the website. This can take from 3 minutes to 48 hours, depending on your skills and knowledge. I know Linux, but not php, so I'd only do this when I have 3-5 hrs available to correct stuff.
    I've only got Wordpress and phpBB on there, and they both point to 7.3.19, so it sounds like I can safely purge 7.2