Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to use ubuntu desktop without console?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: how to use ubuntu desktop without console?

I did the same thing back then that I did last week when kernel 16 blew up. I did my super fast reinstall. I always use a dev version and I always keep an updated installer handy.

On the other hand, its been a long time since 11.04 or later when I used a Unity desktop but looking back I guess I could have just clicked the reset link but looking back I admit I didn't know it existed. Must be a Unity 20.04 thing. I'm on Gnome 40 so just don't know.
    Last edited by zebra2; September 17th, 2021 at 12:58 AM.

Beans

Hello, and I am telling you this in the kindest way possible, you CANNOT use ubuntu without the terminal, no matter what, sometime you will just need to open the terminal to either download software or fix something.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sblip View Post
    Hello, and I am telling you this in the kindest way possible, you CANNOT use ubuntu without the terminal, no matter what, sometime you will just need to open the terminal to either download software or fix something.
    This is not true. My mother never opened a terminal in her life and she used Lubuntu for years.

About once a year, she'd ask me to do something for her and because I lived 3 states away, I'd ssh in and do it (7 hrs driving) . She didn't know what a terminal was and was happy pointing and clicking. Of course, I advised her on what hardware to buy that "just worked", so she didn't have to hunt down drivers - ever. Also, I setup weekly patching and back-in-time backups for her that never screwed up. If something bad happened, she knew exactly how to get an old backup copy of a file or directory. I pulled backups once a week for her. That was so her most important stuff was off-site and safe from natural disasters.

Lots of users don't ever touch a terminal.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sblip View Post
    Nonsense! FUD.

You "need" to use the terminal about as often as a Windows user does. There are operations that are done in the cmd window in Windows, but they are usually rather esoteric things or special operations power users might want.

Edit: The reason that the CLI is so often used here and on many other sites is that it is the lingua franca of Linux. DEs are all different and there are different GUI elements for getting things done. It does not matter what desktop environment is being used. The CLI works across the board and other users do not need to know the intricacies of all of them to help.
    Last edited by QIII; September 24th, 2021 at 09:53 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My wife has never used a Linux or Windows terminal. That doesn't mean one hasn't been used. If the access is performed by another person for the system to function then I think the general idea that the terminal access is necessary is still valid. Some users are task oriented, very good at what they do but if something breaks someone else is going to have to open the terminal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12