Thread: 32bit download

Beans

32bit download

i have an old dell latutde d520 that i want to use for my business paperwork etc, menu design , letters, flyers design and such like. now i have ubuntu 21.04 on my main laptop but its too big and bulky to carry with me on meeting so im wanting ubuntu or a flavor of on the dell. i have 21.04 but its 64bit. ive searched for 32bit but to no joy.

can anyone point to the 32 bit of an ubuntu (or flavor) please

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: 32bit download

Last 32-bit distribution is 18.10
    For a laptop that old, you'll probably need Lubuntu 18.04 or 18.10 (careful: first is LXDE, which is no longer supported, the second is LXQt, which is fully supported).

I think there are Debian distributions still supporting 32-bit, but others are more knowledgeable than me here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by in2media2 View Post
    ..Can anyone point to the 32 bit of an ubuntu (or flavor) please
    As far as Ubuntu flavors, you have to go back to 18.04 releases to find any with some existing support. I know Ubuntu MATE has one - it's still on my own 32-bit laptop. The packages on it are no longer all supported - the majority are, however (see report below). If I were looking for something more recent and completely supported, check out this fairly-recent article:

https://itsfoss.com/32-bit-linux-distributions/

From that list I would check out MX-Linux.

Support status for Ubuntu MATE 18.04
    Code:
    dmn@Kayleigh:~$ ubuntu-support-status
    Support status summary of 'Kayleigh':

You have 1500 packages (78.5%) supported until April 2023 (Canonical - 5y)

You have 0 packages (0.0%) that can not/no-longer be downloaded
    You have 412 packages (21.5%) that are unsupported
    Good Luck!

Beans

thanks guys, appreciate the help
    gonna give mx a try. ive used it on my 64bit and was impressed but didnt know they still supported 32bit
    Last edited by in2media2; September 12th, 2021 at 10:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

As already stated.

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS provided i386 or 32-bit x86 ISOs, just not all options.

There was no Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Desktop ISO for example (just like 17.10 had no desktop ISO); but you could install using a different ISO & add the desktop, or upgrade to 18.04 and you got full support for the life of the product. I'd personally not recommend running Ubuntu desktop on a x86/i386 though; I didn't like the experience on pentium 4/M/D boxes as lighter flavor desktops were just more fun and usable.

All flavors of Ubuntu had 32-bit or i386 ISOs. Only Lubuntu & Xubuntu continued on with 18.10 releases, and didn't stop producing ISOs until mid-disco or 19.04 cycle; but if one of these was installed upgraded packages were provided the entire life of 19.04 too. However as 18.10 & 19.04 were not LTS releases they reached EOL before 18.04 did.

Flavors only provided 3 years of support (Lubuntu Next was not a LTS so only had 9 months; I'd not recommend it on 18.04; likewise Ubuntu Studio was not a LTS with 18.04 so only had 9 too).

Use `ubuntu-support-status` as Dennis N suggested to check the security status of your system, ie. packages from 'universe' are already out of support; so you can decide how safe it will be for your intended use.

For non-Ubuntu; I'd recommend Debian as I saw also suggested. I QA-test Ubuntu flavors, and do the same with Debian, and used pentium M laptops in QA-testing the recent Debian Bullseye (11) (my pentium 4 & D boxes refused to power on; PSU issues so I just used laptop/pentium M devices which are less powerful anyway). Maybe of note: I had 1 box that performed better with Lubuntu 18.04 LTS than Debian Buster (10); but that was a really under-powered celeron desktop (pentium 4 version was subjectively equal between Lubuntu 18.04 & Debian 10).

Beans

I'd go with Debian 32bit
    https://www.debian.org/CD/torrent-cd/
    (Using torrents adds extra data checking )

Beans

Which processor does your Dell have? Some versions came with a Core 2 Duo which is 64 bit.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by in2media2 View Post
    thanks guys, appreciate the help
    gonna give mx a try. ive used it on my 64bit and was impressed but didnt know they still supported 32bit
    I looked at MX yesterday. It doesn't use systemd, so you'll need to learn the old init and runlevel methods. Nothing wrong with that, just need to be aware.
    Also, they seem to put some commonly used tools into /usr/local/ ... which is a violation of standards. Again, nothing wrong with it, but it means that distro isn't nearly so compatible with Ubuntu as many would suggest.

There are a few little things that MX has done, probably for security reasons, that have been addressed in different ways in Debian and Ubuntu releases. For example, ping requires sudo to work on MX. They elected not to just apply the cgroup for network controls on the ping command so any user can use ping.

There are probably a number of other little items like that which are different.

A few people in my LUG are MX users and they really like it.