Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Cannot get my Lenovo H520S to boot to Ubuntu Server 20 LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Cannot get my Lenovo H520S to boot to Ubuntu Server 20 LTS

This is what I would like you to do.

Clean install of your system however you want to set it up. If after the install you are allowed to continue evaluating the OS before rebooting open a terminal and run these commands
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
    sudo apt-get update 
    sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair
    Click the button to generate a report, post the link here.

Reboot into your new install and repeat the above.
    when the 2nd report has been posted run
    Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt upgrade
    sudo apt full-upgrade  #this one is just in case some packages were held back
    Run another Boot-Repair report if you wish.

Now it is hit and hope time.

Reboot (hopefully) into your new system.

All good hurrah, or complete failure boo!

Grab your installion USB run in try-mode. Please do not use the Boot-Repair ISO.

Run the commands used at the top of this post. DO NOT try any repairs yet, just generate another report. Hopefully there should be enough differences between them to see where things have not gone right.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

LOL. You can try. You have run it 3 times already and it has not given you joy yet. Yann updated his ppa, repo and the boot-repair disk about the same time... I have emails to him about your system specifically, some other things on my Opensource Project, and a few bugs I found in his script on some other tests for him.

Today, just hours ago, I bought a Lenovo T520 Thinkpad, which supposedly has the same BIOS as yours... I am imaging it right now to a 2TB SSD that I want to install in it.

I did notice a few settings in the firmware setup. Go ahead and do whatever. It will take a while before this finishes imaging.

I had just renewed my Dell Service Engineer Cert's, and was told I need to renew my HP and Lenovo Cert's for 2021, which they scheduled both courses for later this week. I do warranty service on all three brands. So I have been a bit busy lately. LOL.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; September 23rd, 2021 at 03:58 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

@westie457 @MAF0Elffen

So something interesting happened... before I tried westies solution, for other reasons I pulled the ssd out my main tower, and seeing as it my lying around I thought I would install ubuntu server on it and see if the server would boot off it. For reference I used a USB3.0 to SATA cable to plug it into the server.

So I tried ubuntu server 18.04 LTS first, but it errored out consistently around when you put your details in like your server name and username and password and stuff, so I updated it and installed ubuntu server 20.04 LTS. The install all went to plan and... IT REBOOTED, now here's the weird part. it rebooted into ubuntu server 18.04.... the hard drive... I turned it off and tired to get it to boot onto the SSD but in the boot menu at the post screen it only showed the hard drive.

So I unplugged the SSD and turned it on and it booted again... and now as far as I can tell its fixed... I genuinely have no idea what the hell fixed it, if you guys want I'll use boot repair to generate a report on pastebin see if it answers any questions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I would like to see a boot-repair and system-info reports on it.

So maybe a loose connection might have also been what was causing that intermittent phantom reporting of sdc???

After I got through imaging the original drive in my new (to me) Lenovo T520, i Installed that 2TB SSD in it. Then installed Ubuntu 20.04.3 along side Windows 10 Pro. Had no problems, complaints, or hickups at all.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Hey, so I generated those reports

The system info one is https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/Kw9XgSJkK8/

and the boot info report is http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/hC89qhdJTj/
    Last edited by cakebaker67985; September 26th, 2021 at 02:59 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Your link for the pastebin for boot-repair is broken. I think your link for the boot-repair should have been: https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/p/hC89qhdJTj/

The curiosity now is that you ran both reports while booted from the LiveCD...

You could have installed installed boot-info to your server, and downloaded the ssystem-info script to a directory, then ran both native from your Server OS. The reports would have shown what is going on with your installed/now booting system. So I think those reports are just a bit slighted/Biased.

The reason I think I want to see that. is that the boot-repair report still shows "sdc"... Which is still a mystery to me (???)
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; September 26th, 2021 at 08:56 AM.

Beans

Ah that was my typo in the link, its fixed now. However when I tried to install anything on the server I had this issue, I did fix it using the meathod in that discussion but I thought I would mention it.

This is info script https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/dG2dDRQSqq/

for the boot-repair script, I cant see a way of running it without a GUI, I have ubuntu server installed so im not sure if it will work?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yann's boot-info script is different that his boot-repair script. The boot-info script "was" started year's ago (at least over a decade ago), and has gone many updates, through three groups of Maintainers. Yann is the present Maintainer of the current script. We used to have very many user's who had any kind boot issues run "that script" before Yann made the Boot_repair disk and his Boot-repair script. That is what he based the boot-repair script from. That script will create a report without making changes... Your's is working now. We don't need to repair it, or possibly break it. We just want to see it.

It can be found at and downloaded from: https://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/

Use the "Download link" there. It comes in a Tar Ball... So what I would do is download it from a browser, unpack it and put it on a USB drive... Be able to use that USB drive, to copy to your server... to run the script...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678