Code:
    total 4
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Sep 15 19:28 EFT

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Cannot get my Lenovo H520S to boot to Ubuntu Server 20 LTS

EFT? What the Heck? What is in that directory?

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Okay. New plan.

Code:
    exit
    exit
    sudo unmount /mnt
    Start up gparted... give that disk a new gpt partition table.

Download an Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS ISO. 18.04 was the old server installer system and was before they started supporting SecureBoot again, so the Grub with be the correct flavor.
    Burn it to a USB.
    Install it.
    Reboot.
    On reboot
    Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt dist-upgrade
    sudo do-release-upgrade
    That is simpler and less time on a new install. There is just strange things going on there. And this is simpler at this point. WOW.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; September 16th, 2021 at 05:28 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Sorry for taking so long to get back.

So I used gparted to delete all the partitions, then created 1 big new etx4 partition. I installed Ubuntu server 18.04 LTS, and here's where it gets interesting... it installs just fine, the first reboot where it asks you to take the media out and hit entre works and it boots into ubuntu server and everything works, I run the first two commands and they work, then when I try the last command it says the system needs to reboot after the 2 command, now when I do this I get the dreadful "No operating system found" error...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Aaaaaa.... It is UEFI only... it has to create at least a 256MB Minimum (usually 500MB - 1GB) partition marked as EFI/ESP for UEFI to boot. So if you had left it blank, with just the GPT partition table, it would have created that... Or if you have created a 500MB - 1GB EFI partition, formatted as Fat32, again marked as EFT/ESP, it would have used that as, and done the rest with the unallocated spaced on it's own.

One of the big bug's that I have found with the new (20.04 and newer) Server Live Installer, it that it doesn't play well with pre-partitioned drives. Not the EFI partition, but with any other's. It likes the drive to be empty/barren.

Up to try that again?
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; September 17th, 2021 at 03:46 AM.

Beans

Yeah I'm definitely up for trying that! I really wanna get this working XD

I used gparted on a live boot to delete all the partitions, and left the drive unallocated. Then I installed Ubuntu server 20.04 LTS, the install went fine, but It didn't reboot into the system it came back with no OS found again. So I went back into the live boot and looked at the partitions, it seems to have done everything right.

There is

Code:
    /dev/sda1 fat32 512MB boot, esp 
    /dev/sda2 ext4 1GB 
    /dev/sda3 lvm2 pv ubuntu-vg 464.26GB
    unallocated 1.02MB
    Now I did run another boot repair, BUT this time I went into advanced and unchecked the secure boot option, and as far as I can tell it installed grub with secure boot disabled. https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/p/dPNCHnq3mR/

Sadly it still didn't boot
    Last edited by cakebaker67985; September 17th, 2021 at 05:58 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I can see that you installed 20.04 Server again (Instead of what I asked you to try with trying to install Server 18.04)... The boot-repair was running 18.04... I can see that it created everything correctly, and all the pointers were correct. It's still a mystery of the why it is not booting.

I can see that it purged and installed grub-efi-amd64-signed, instead of grub-efi-amd64... but it did configure it as:
    Code:
    grub-install --efi-directory=/boot/efi --target=x86_64-efi --no-uefi-secure-boot
    Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
    Installation finished. No error reported.
    df /dev/sda1
    mv /mnt/boot-sav/mapper/ubuntu--vg-ubuntu--lv/boot/efi/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi /mnt/boot-sav/mapper/ubuntu--vg-ubuntu--lv/boot/efi/EFI/Boot/bkpbootx64.efi
    cp /mnt/boot-sav/mapper/ubuntu--vg-ubuntu--lv/boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi /mnt/boot-sav/mapper/ubuntu--vg-ubuntu--lv/boot/efi/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi

grub-install --efi-directory=/boot/efi --target=x86_64-efi --no-uefi-secure-boot
    Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
    And finished without errors...

One thing I did notice is that the Boot-repair disk is still 18.04 and you haven't tried to install Server 18.04 yet right?

Beans

So I wiped the disk with gparted again, let it unallocated, I installed 18.04 again and had the same weird issue as last time where it rebooted after the install into the Operating system and worked, but When I rebooted it again it came back with no OS found.

I ran another boot repair and unchecked the secure boot option again: http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/mnHBkR3KB7/

I did notice something interesting in there

Code:
    Disks info: ____________________________________________________________________

sda    : is-GPT,    no-BIOSboot,    has---ESP,     not-usb,    not-mmc, has-os,    2048 sectors * 512 bytes
    The no-BIOSboot, is that something to be worried about?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

This is how I setup my GPT disks (prepartitioned) here, no matter what they are going into...
    Code:
    GPT partition table
    1MB unallocated before anything
    1-5MB Partition, unformatted, Labeled boot_grub, type EF02 (bios_grub flag)
    500mb-1G, fat32, Labeled EFI, type EF00 (ESP/EFI flag)
    That way if can go into Legacy or UEFI machines.

"bios_boot" is for Legacy BIOS boot Machines to be able to boot GPT disks. The BIOS-boot partition is a container for GRUB 2's core. It is necessary if you install Linux on a GPT disk, and if the firmware (BIOS) is set up in Legacy (not EFI) mode. It must be located at the start of a GPT disk, and have a "bios_grub" flag.

This is NOT yours. Yours is UEFI only.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Please... Do this...
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l | sed '/\/dev\/loop/,+3 d' 2> /dev/null | uniq
    I want to see if anything there (partitons on sda) is marked as bootable...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast