Thread: Minicomputer refuses to start Focal Fossa, after years of faultless service

Beans

Post Minicomputer refuses to start Focal Fossa, after years of faultless service

I have been using an Intel NUCminicomputer for several years. It has Intel Core i3 X4, running Ubuntu, most recently distro20.04 (Focal Fossa).

a week ago it refused to start. It shows the following messageon screen:
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................

/dev/sda2contains a filesystem with errors check forced.
    Inodesthat were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found.

dev/sda2:UNEXPETEDINCONSISTENCY:RUN fsck MANUALLY.

(i.e.,without -a or -p options)

fsckexited with status code 4
    Theroot filesystem on /dev/sda2 requires a MANUAL fsck

BusyBox v 1.30.1 (Ubuntu 1:1.30.1-4 ubuntu6.3
    built-inshell (ash)

Enter‘help’ for a list of built-in commands.

(nitramfs)
    .................................................. .................................................. ................

Ientered ‘help’ and got a 10-linelist ofcommand words, which did notmean very much to me.

I’d be grateful for anyadvice. I have little understanding of the inner workings of Linux,but manage to follow instructions as a rule.

Thank in anticipation.

logcx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Minicomputer refuses to start Focal Fossa, after years of faultless service

It looks like your disk is broken.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Perhaps boot into a live Ubuntu session and run fsck on /dev/sda2?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

To give you more info just in case tea for one's suggestion does not mean much to you, boot to a live ubuntu system, eg on a USB as you did perhaps when you installed originally, open a terminal and in that run command
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    to confirm the device name for the root partition of your installed OS is /dev/sda2.

Once you are sure which is the root partition run command
    Code:
    sudo e2fsck /dev/sda2
    With luck that will show you some errors and offer to repair them.

Good luck.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; September 11th, 2021 at 05:42 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
    It looks like your disk is broken.

Thanks for your reply, but why do you think that? I'd not want to try replacing the SSD unless I could be sure.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    To give you more info just in case tea for one's suggestion does not mean much to you, boot to a live ubuntu system, eg on a USB as you did perhaps when you installed originally, open a terminal and in that run command
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    to confirm the device name for the root partition of your installed OS is /dev/sda2.

Once you are sure which is the root partition run command
    Code:
    sudo e2fsck /dev/sda2
    With luck that will show you some errors and offer to repair them.

Good luck.
    Thanks for this help. Could you please explain a little more: you say 'boot to a live ubuntu system'. I cannot at present boot to anything on the microcomputer that is causing trouble. Can I boot on a different machine? (or what? )
    I shall certainly need luck!
    greetings, logie.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I suspect that your installed Ubuntu file system is damaged, which prevents you booting cleanly.

However, it will (hopefully) not prevent you booting a live Ubuntu session, similar to when you installed Ubuntu in the past.

Here is some info:- https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/try-ubu...etting-started

You may need your different machine to download the ISO and make a bootable USB device.