Thread: More efficiency

Beans

More efficiency

Hi all

I have installed Ubuntu on my oldish Acer Aspire laptop because Windows was becomming unusable. Now I am in the world of Linux for the first time.

Is there anyway I can increase the performance of my laptop? I sometimes experience slow, staggered videos when streaming online.

Thank you and thanks for reading!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: More efficiency

Yes, I suggest that you download one or all iso files of the light-weight community flavours of Ubuntu: Lubuntu, Ubuntu MATE and Xubuntu. They have a lighter desktop environment and also lighter application programs as default, but you can install 'everything' from the common repositories of Ubuntu.

See this general dowload link.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Ubuntu normally works quite well out of the box, performing about as good as it gets for the software you choose and the hardware you provide. It's not intentionally crippled to let you pay for higher performance.

It is possible that it's not working well, but in that case it takes some detection work to find the reason before you can fix it. You could start with giving some details on the hardware. In particular the CPU, RAM and graphics hardware would be interesting.

Also, which release of Ubuntu did you install? We generally recommend 20.04 these days. It's the latest long term support version.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Assuming that the internet download rate is sufficient one reason for the "staggering" of a video steam is insufficient memory (RAM). On my machine I have 4GB of RAM. About 50% is used by Ubuntu and the rest is set aside a cache memory. Think of it a ready to use memory. The video stream has to be cached in memory so that playback is smooth. That is the importance of knowing the hardware specification.

Another factor is the video graphic adapter. Does it have its own memory? How much? Some manufacturers saved money by having a video adapter that shared memory with the operating system. With some machines graphic rendering has to be done by the CPU. It is much better if the video adapter has it own Graphic Processing Unit (GPU).

Regards
    Last edited by grahammechanical; September 11th, 2021 at 02:24 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530