Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Ubuntu 20 install on DELL AIO desktop - video problems

Beans

Re: New Ubuntu 20 install on DELL AIO desktop - video problems

Thanks grahammechanical... you expressed my concern exactly!

Now seems like the best time to figure this out (and get involved in the community as well) while I use the older kernel.

Beans

Hello guiverc,

I downloaded and installed the latest desktop ISO from the Ubuntu website. During installation I checked the box to update third party drivers. I also ran an update && upgrade after.

I'm running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Desktop.

Thanks!

Beans

PS. I appreciate the helpful comments.

Also, I thought I'd research the documentation for Linux kernels at Kernel.org to see if there was any mention. To be honest, it is difficult reading and I didn't find anything specific. I did notice that the kernel 5.11 released in February this year has already been marked EoL and replaced with 5.12. The latest kernel is 5.14.3 stable.

Does it make sense to attempt to update the kernel? This website seems to indicate that 5.8 is the current kernel version. Also, Ubuntu's documentation says Focal Fossa (what I'm running) Ubuntu 20.04 uses HWE stack 5.8.

This website indicates 5.11 was released to mainline distribution in April 2021 and rolled out this summer (which is probably why I have it in my install). They mention some graphics card updates but those are mostly newer cards (like Radeon) and wouldn't apply to my situation.

I did take a quick look at the mainline distribution here. There are also folders for 5.12, 5.13 and 5.14 on that web server, so although I couldn't find any official kernel releases past 5.11 by the Ubuntu team it appears they're testing the later versions.

To be honest, I think I'll just stick with 5.8 for now. I wish there were any easy way to see the differences between 5.8 and 5.11 to figure out why one works on my hardware and the other doesn't.

Beans

If I were you I would make a copy of the 5.8 kernel and stash it in my home directory. Just a little CYA in case the 5.8 kernel gets deleted.

You'll want to copy System-map, initrd.img and config for the 5.8 kernel.

--glenn

Beans

If I were you I would make a copy of the 5.8 kernel just to CYA. You'll want to copy Config, initrd.img, and System.map and put them in a safe place, just in case the 5.8 kernel gets deleted.

Just my $0.02
    --glenn

Damn my previous reply hadn't shown up yet

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by psychohermit View Post
    If I were you I would make a copy of the 5.8 kernel just to CYA.
    Makes total sense. Thank you, Glenn!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12