Thread: Xubuntu taskbar

Beans

Xubuntu taskbar

39-year old man here trying out Linux for the first time. I started using computers using DOS and Windows 3.1 and have been using Microsoft ever since. Thought it could be interesting to try something new.

I have installed Lubuntu on my very old and slow laptop and Xubuntu on even my older but quite more powerful desktop computer. The laptop became a new machine, blazingly fast!

Anyway, as a long time user of Windows, some habits are hard to change. I am not satisfied with Xubuntus taskbar, or whatever it is called in the Linux world. Ever since Windows 98 you have been able to pin application shortcuts to the taskbar, and they always stays to the left. Running application are shown to the right of these icons. The behaviour has differed a bit between Windows versions but that's the basic principle. Lubuntu also behave like this.

My install of Xubuntu on the other hand show running applications to the left of these pinned items. So whenever I start a program these icons gets pushed farther and farther to the right. I don't know if it is supposed to be like this or if I have messed something up. Seems a bit odd to me as used to Windows. Can this annoyance be rectified?

Windows 10 (with Classic Shell):

Lubuntu:

Xubuntu:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Xubuntu taskbar

For Xubuntu, you can change the positions of the window buttons and any launchers by right click on the panel, then select Panel > Panel Preferences > Items Tab. Use the arrows to move items up or down in the list. The top of list is the left side side of the panel.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Providing release details may help us better understand where you are.

The Lubuntu icon looks like a LXQt (modified) but I can't tell which release.

Xubuntu likewise I can't tell. I do know Xubuntu/Xfce is extremely configurable; so no matter how you'd like it; you can almost certainly get there.

I don't know what you consider old with regards your hardware; I'm using a 2009 dell desktop to reply to this, but I don't think of this box as old - it's just a PC/workstation.

Lubuntu have manuals - https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/ (where stable refers to the latest stable release, currently 21.04; change the stable to say lts and you can see the LTS version of the manual which currently is Lubuntu 20.04 LTS)

Xubuntu doesn't have it's own manual; but you can still access Xfce docs - https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/getting-started

Terminology differs; each desktop has its own terminology as they were set by the teams that created them (Xfce started in 1996 after a dev moved away from the CDE desktop; using terms from the prior desktop make sense)

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Xubuntu taskbar

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    For Xubuntu, you can change the positions of the window buttons and any launchers by right click on the panel, then select Panel > Panel Preferences > Items Tab. Use the arrows to move items up or down in the list. The top of list is the left side side of the panel.
    Thank you, that made the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by guiverc View Post
    Providing release details may help us better understand where you are.

The Lubuntu icon looks like a LXQt (modified) but I can't tell which release.

Xubuntu likewise I can't tell. I do know Xubuntu/Xfce is extremely configurable; so no matter how you'd like it; you can almost certainly get there.

I don't know what you consider old with regards your hardware; I'm using a 2009 dell desktop to reply to this, but I don't think of this box as old - it's just a PC/workstation.

Lubuntu have manuals - https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/ (where stable refers to the latest stable release, currently 21.04; change the stable to say lts and you can see the LTS version of the manual which currently is Lubuntu 20.04 LTS)

Xubuntu doesn't have it's own manual; but you can still access Xfce docs - https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/getting-started

Terminology differs; each desktop has its own terminology as they were set by the teams that created them (Xfce started in 1996 after a dev moved away from the CDE desktop; using terms from the prior desktop make sense)
    Thank you for your answer, the tip I got from Dennis was spot on but I am quite sure those manual will come in handy.

My desktop computer is from 2008 and can run Windows 10 and everything I use it for without problems. It's a Core 2 Duo overclocked to 4.2 Ghz. The laptop have an AMD dual core 1.4 Ghz CPU and have been too sluggish with Windows 10, I was thinking about scrapping it but with Lubuntu it runs very well

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

You don't even need to open the Panel Preferences -> Items to do this; simply right click on the item you want to shift and choose Move, then drag it to wherever you want it.

If you use more than one panel as I do, having all my launchers in a panel on the left side of the screen, you can also drag items from one panel to the other.

Xubuntu is just brilliant!!

Beans

on xubuntu when you open an application and it's icon tray sits at the left of your other toolbar icons , just right click on the other icons one by one and move them to the left of the open application icon.
    from there on it should stay that way doesn't matter what application you open.
    xubuntu 20.04.3 LTS (focal fossa)