Thread: Applied upgrades this moring and lost video monitors and high resolutions

Beans

Applied upgrades this moring and lost video monitors and high resolutions

I have been running a clean install of Ubuntu 20.04 for the last 2 months with 3 video screens with higher resolutions.

This morning I was prompted to install/upgrade some packages. I accepted and went on my merry way.

I was then prompted to reboot, which I did.

I now have only 1 video screen and the max resolution in 640x480.
    I launch settings and all I see is a single display and only one resolution available 640x480.

I tried to reinstall the ubuntu-desktop but that did not help.

I was not using any of the proprietary video drivers. I did an install a proprietary video driver 20 minutes ago to see if that would resolve my issue. It did not.
    How do I revert back? I need my multiple screens and higher resolutions.
    Not really sure how attack this problem.

lsb_release -d
    Description: Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS

Thank you
    Peter

Beans

Re: Applied upgrades this moring and lost video monitors and high resolutions

Additional details

I interrupted the GRUB boot loader and decided to try booting the previous version of the kernel (5.11.0-34-generic) was installed this morning.

So I picked 5.11.0.27-generic and I now have all 3 of my displays back with proper resolutions.

So what is up with the 5.11.0.34-generic? When booting 5-11.0.34-generic how do I get the 3 displays working with proper resolutions?

I can keep running 5.11.0.27-generic for now.

Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Looks like the same problem like upgrading from 5.8 to 5.11 kernel. Something not linked with graphc card drivers.
    I had similar problem with my HP8440p where I lost my Nvidia drivers when updated from 5.8 to 5.11 beacuse somebody or something did not managed to extend support to this new version of kernel so I got stuck with nouveau driers instead of Nvidia ones.

Beans

So were you able to fix this?

Beans

So were you able to fix this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

What is the graphics card, and have you install a driver manually?
    As is, this help request lacks any useful info to work with.
    Last edited by mikewhatever; September 9th, 2021 at 09:01 PM.

Beans

Does the system have a make and model?