Thread: Trouble moving cinnamon pinned apps to the left and not show application window icons

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Question Trouble moving cinnamon pinned apps to the left and not show application window icons

Hello, I am using the Cinnamon desktop environment, installed with #sudo install cinnamon-desktop

The desktop environment was behaving exactly as I wanted until recently... that is, pinned apps showed in the panel, and when you opened individual windows in that app, they became accessible by hover-over the app icon, with mini previews showing up above them. Eg if you had 5 firefox windows open, you could hover over the firefox app icon, pinned to the panel, and you could select which window you wanted to bring to the forefront.

I am not sure why exactly, but today the behavior changed, and for each window launched by an app, I am getting a new icon on the right side of the panel. This quickly becomes unwieldy as I often have numerous windows open for all my apps, numerous terminals running, and the icons spill over into the tray area etc. For example same as this user reports:

https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxmint/c...from_creating/

I havent been able to think of what I did today that would cause a change, but I am trying to revert back to the previous behavior.

When I try removing the "Grouped windows list" applet, and then re-adding it back again, then the behavior goes back to the way I want... however, the pinned icons are all on the RIGHT rather than the left.

When I try to enter panel edit move and move them to the left, they keep snapping back to the right. This appears to be a common problem for which people recommend setting all panel settings to the default:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=307962

I have done this several times, but when I do that, I have to re-pin all my apps again, and they are indeed on the left, however, the application windows again start showing up. I have the "Windows list" removed, only "Grouped windows list" active.

I have been through a few cycles of trying things out, resetting to defaults, adding back in the pinned apps, trying to get the window icons to now show, eventually resetting, rinse and repeat.

Anyway I am trying to figure out how to have the application windows grouped in the pinned icons, while also having the icons on the left of the panel.

Any help appreciated, I have looked through all the settings and haven't found anything enticing.

Rabu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Trouble moving cinnamon pinned apps to the left and not show application window i

Hi all... just for the record, I managed to get it to work properly but I'm not quite sure how! Not sure if there is a bug, previously corrupt preference non-intuitive setting, or if I was just missing something obvious, but now it's working.

I do see other posts on the interwebs with people having similar issues, so I think there is at least something either non-intuitive or some setting hidden in an expected place, who knows... but works ok now!

Live long and prosper, all -