Thread: Ida Casualty - Computer runs for a few minutes then...

Beans

Ida Casualty - Computer runs for a few minutes then...

We just regained access to our office in New Orleans and discovered the one of our Ubuntu computers will not stay up.
    We had someone go in and she discovered that the power light was flashing. I had her power it off and restart. It appeared to come up normally.
    I was able to login via ssh and as far as I can tell everything seemed to be working then it abruptly shut off and the power light was flashing again.
    I had her disconnect and reconnect the power cord and restart same thing repeated two more times.
    It never stayed up more than a few minutes so I couldn't get very far with a diagnostic.
    It's obviously a hardware problem but what?
    My best guess is a power supply.
    Anyone else care to take a guess?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Ida Casualty - Computer runs for a few minutes then...

Anyone could guess, but what is the value of, say, a 100 guesses to you? The machine obviously needs to be open up and examined, there isn't any other way.

Beans

Unfortunately I'm evacuated and there is no one there who can do the necessary work. I was hoping to get some clues as to what to try.
    I'm heading there tomorrow and basically have duplicates of everything I might need to swap, even if it means cannibalizing a warm spare.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

My first guess would be a PSU and then RAM.

Beans

My first guess was PSU (because that's usually the problem) but I was wrong.
    The RAM was OK as well I swapped the RAM from the old MB since it had more RAM.
    I swapped a MB and CPU from another similar spare machine and I'm back up.
    Still don't know if it was the CPU or the MB. I need either another CPU or MB to find out.

Beans

Well I spoke too soon.
    Apparently somewhere along the way the OS started putting the computer to sleep. Not sure how that happened, it's been running without going to sleep for a couple of years.
    I've turned sleep off and now it seems to be working again, perhaps the MD wasn't bad, although it wouldn't boot.