Thread: How to adjust the size of top menu bar

Beans

How to adjust the size of top menu bar

Hi all,

Gnome Desktop

This is an old question - how to adjust the size of top menu top ?

I have done it several years ago but unfortunately forgetting how to do it.

Please help. Thanks

Regards

Beans

Re: How to adjust the size of top menu bar

How to adjust the size of top menu bar
    If you want a wider bar and keep the same font size, you can 1) select a gnome-shell theme with a wider top bar, or 2) change some values in the gnome-shell theme's gnome-shell.css file found in the gnome-shell theme folder.

If the fonts up there are too small as well, which was my problem, you can increase the scaling factor for fonts in Tweaks. As a side effect, this makes the panel wider to accommodate the larger font. But, since this enlarges all fonts, you must decrease the Interface font size (also set in Tweaks) to compensate.

F.Y.I., I use a Flat Remix Dark gnome-shell theme (there are several variants on gnome-look.org), font scaling 1.10.
    Last edited by Dennis N; September 7th, 2021 at 04:23 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    If you want it wider bar the same font size, you can 1) select a gnome-shell theme with a wider top bar, or 2) change some values in the gnome-shell theme's gnome-shell.css file found in the gnome-shell theme folder.

If the fonts up there are too small as well, which was my problem, you can increase the scaling factor for fonts in Tweaks. As a side effect, this makes the panel wider to accommodate the larger font. But, since this enlarges all fonts, you must decrease the Interface font size (also set in Tweaks) to compensate.

F.Y.I., I use a Flat Remix Dark gnome-shell theme (there are several variants on gnome-look.org), font scaling 1.10.
    Thanks for your advice.

My Display:-
    Dell 4K 32" display

My Settings on Gnome-Tweaks

Appearance -> Theme
    Yaru

-> Fonts
    all set to 20

-> Scaling Factor

3.00 is better for me but the fonts on all browsers, Firefox and Chrome become a little big to me. If setting the font size to 18 then the fonts on Terminal, Text Editor etc. are little bid smaller.

Regards

Beans

If setting the font size to 18 then the fonts on Terminal, Text Editor etc. are little bid smaller.
    Right. Some of the gnome applications have independent font setting in their preferences - text editor does, and so does terminal just to name two. So you can make further adjustments in those.

F.Y.I. My monitor is just the older 1920 x 1080 as you probably guessed. so the scaling I use would not be very effective on yours!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    Right. Some of the gnome applications have independent font setting in their preferences - text editor does, and so does terminal just to name two. So you can make further adjustments in those.
    - snip -
    Advice noted and thanks

Regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Hi all,
    Gnome Desktop
    This is an old question - how to adjust the size of top menu top ?
    I have done it several years ago but unfortunately forgetting how to do it.
    Is your previous thread helpful https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2451133?