Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Instability in Ubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Instability in Ubuntu 18.04

Quote Originally Posted by heatopher2 View Post
    Sure, no worries and no massive rush. I'm surviving on Windows for the time being, and learning new Linux stuff as and when I want to on a VM. But I get really annoyed by all the stupid things that Windows does, of course, and keen to get back on the main Linux drag sooner rather than later :~/
    Speaking of VMs, I checked the syslog on the Ubuntu VM that I'm running on Windows, and there seemed to be a **LOT** less going on there than on the log that I've pasted. I suppose maybe it's not surprising, since I have hardly any applications installed on the VM. Nevertheless, I guess the question that I have in my mind is whether it's normal (if such a thing as "normal" even exists) for a system log at startup to be as long as the one that I've submitted.
    And thanks for your attention, of course
    (P.S. please don't hesitate to tell me if you think that it's all too complicated, and the best thing would be to do a new clean install, using the live-patch from the start this time. I'm partly just pursuing all this as part of my general Linux learning :~)
    Thanks a lot for understanding. I just review a little part of it in the upper part of the system logs. I saw some errors and some disabled parts.
    But don't worry about this part because it is just a minor thing I think. And I wasn't able to resume my review due to some interruptions. Its
    just a personal thing. Other important matters. Don't worry I will be updating you when I completely review all the logs in your system. Regards.
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread
    Rock n' Roll People.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mIk3_08 View Post
    Thanks a lot for understanding. I just review a little part of it in the upper part of the system logs. I saw some errors and some disabled parts.
    But don't worry about this part because it is just a minor thing I think. And I wasn't able to resume my review due to some interruptions. Its
    just a personal thing. Other important matters. Don't worry I will be updating you when I completely review all the logs in your system. Regards.
    No worries at all. Talk soon

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have started a few scan in your system logs and found out this
    Code:
    Sep 10 10:17:01 HEATOPHER gnome-shell[8271]: Object Meta.Background  (0x5605c20d7c70), has been already deallocated - impossible to access  it. This might be caused by the object having been destroyed from C code  using something such as destroy(), dispose(), or remove() vfuncs
    and this;
    Code:
    Sep 10 10:15:47 HEATOPHER variety.desktop[10473]: FileNotFoundError:  [Errno 2] No such file or directory:  '/home/kizza/.config/variety/Downloaded/Unsplash/photo-1630837045253-a9bf26e51f02.jpg.metadata.json'
    Sep 10 10:15:47 HEATOPHER variety.desktop[10473]: ERROR: 2021-09-10  10:15:47,771: safe_unlink() 'Could not delete  /home/kizza/.config/variety/Downloaded/wallhaven_abstract/wallhaven-4dk69j.jpg.metadata.json,  ignoring'
    Sep 10 10:15:47 HEATOPHER variety.desktop[10473]: Traceback (most recent call last):
    Sep 10 10:15:47 HEATOPHER variety.desktop[10473]:   File  "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/variety/Util.py", line 886, in  safe_unlink
    Sep 10 10:15:47 HEATOPHER variety.desktop[10473]:     os.unlink(filepath)
    This errors keeps repeating in your system.
    Maybe this is one of the few things that causes the corruption of your system that make it unstable
    That's the only few that I checked and I'm not finish yet but I am planning to continue to review it when have some availability
    so we can find out the root cause of your unstable system.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread
    Rock n' Roll People.

Beans
    Distro

Well, I had quite a lot of trouble getting Variety to work properly, so it makes sense that that is showing up. Really a big shame, as it's such a nice app. I had a whole thread about it, here:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2465658

I marked it as "solved" because I did get it working the way it was supposed to in the end, but maybe it's no coincidence that things collapsed completely around that time. I say "maybe", because there were already plenty of noticeable problems before I fixed that. I kind of doubt that it's only about Variety, though, eh.

Let me mention one other thing that I think might have caused instability. Shortly after installing, back in July, I wanted to get Ubuntu to hibernate nicely, the way that Windows does, and followed a few links which got me to that point (I'll dig up the links if you think it's relevant). It worked, but less than 50% of the time, from the beginning, and more often than not I ended up needing to shut down or restart (and then getting those "stop jobs" preventing the system from shutting down for long periods). But hey, I don't know what things are related to what, and that is why I'm here :~)
    Last edited by heatopher2; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Let's be honest. This really isn't much of a "community" these days, is it? People on here were much more helpful when I first started experimenting with Linux a few years ago. One person has properly offered to help, and of course disappeared because it's too much for only one person to help out with the issue that I've got. I'm not especially upset about it, but just wish to point out that it's not very encouraging or welcoming as a gateway to the Linux community, is it?

Well, I shall persevere despite these feelings, because I'm determined to get to where I want to be, but I think that if my experience of this forum back at the beginning had been similar to how it's been recently, I would never have even got to where I am now. I may decide to look at a distro that has a more responsive community.
    Last edited by heatopher2; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:52 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Perhaps the person "disappeared" because they have a real life to attend to and that is more important to them sometimes than volunteering here? Might they be sick, or traveling or on a business trip? Taking time off with a new child? Smelling life's roses?

How was the community more helpful a few years ago?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Let's be honest. This really isn't much of a "community" these days, is it?
    A community would function better if community members responded in such a way that others would benefit.

For example, have a look at this thread where a fix was suggested and, to all intents and purposes, the solution was acceptable.

Yet, the OP did not mark the thread as solved, therefore denying the community of a searchable solution.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2465655

It takes two to tango.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    A community would function better if community members responded in such a way that others would benefit.

For example, have a look at this thread where a fix was suggested and, to all intents and purposes, the solution was acceptable.

Yet, the OP did not mark the thread as solved, therefore denying the community of a searchable solution.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2465655

It takes two to tango.
    Well, look, if you want to go down that road, if you examine that thread once again you will notice that I did in fact say that the problem was fixed. I was not aware at the time that there was **such a thing** as marking the problem solved. Are you saying that you expect inexperienced members to be aware from the start of every convention on this forum? I don't remember anyone pulling me up on such a thing when I first came on this forum a few years back. I assume that those people understood that novices already have enough to get their heads around.

This only serves to reinforce what I'm saying - there are lots of assumptions that new people should immediately slot right in, and it only adds to the stress and confusion. I'm sure that there are plenty of people who are trying to switch over from Windows, but who give up due to that sometimes unwelcoming (and in this case, sarcastic) tone. I'm in quite a blunt mood today, sorry.

I have experienced this attitude on more than one Linux forum, by the way, so apparently it is not exclusive to this place. I always try to find things out before I ask questions, in order to make them not too stupid. I try to write my questions in a friendly and polite manner, and don't especially think that I've deserved the snarky comments that I've received on occasions. It may be that I write too much sometimes (and yes, I've been flamed for that), but that's only because I don't understand what's going on, and so feel the need to elaborate. If people don't have the time to listen/read properly, I don't really think that they should be volunteering on a forum which is a crucial gateway from Windows to Linux. Of course Linux is not for everyone, but with a more open-hearted welcome at the starting post it is certain that more people would transition successfully.
    Last edited by heatopher2; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Perhaps the person "disappeared" because they have a real life to attend to and that is more important to them sometimes than volunteering here? Might they be sick, or traveling or on a business trip? Taking time off with a new child? Smelling life's roses?
    Did I say that I didn't understand that that person might have good reasons for disappearing? No, I didn't, because of course that is understood. Thanks to that person for being the only one who has made a genuine attempt to help me through.

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    How was the community more helpful a few years ago?
    When I first installed Ubuntu, about five years ago, I of course had several problems getting things to work, and there were a couple of guys who hung around as long as was necessary to talk me through the issues. I was very grateful to them, and impressed by their dedication. Then a couple of years later I had a massive crash when I was trying to update, and just couldn't get the system back at all. There was some problem with GRUB (maybe - no idea, because I never got to the bottom of it) I wrote posts on here, one person started helping, and then disappeared. I wrote a couple more times, and no-one picked up. I subsequently gave up on Linux for the next couple of years, until coming back recently.

Since coming back here some people have been helpful, of course, but I'm just finding the tone from others sometimes quite aggressive. I try to make my questions friendly/polite and not too stupid. That is to say, I try to research a bit before I ask, but sometimes I just get really glib and frankly impolite messages which don't help all that much, and so at this point I'm just saying what I think about that, because I think it's something that some of you should be thinking about. It's a very uncomfortable feeling when you have the sense that you're appearing really clueless in front of people, and IT is the worst of worlds for inducing that feeling. God knows - I've made my poor old mother suffer enough times with that feeling, and maybe this is my payback. I'm only saying that a few people here could learn to be a bit more sensitive about that, and avoid becoming defensive over a little criticism. This forum has been feeling to me a bit more like an exclusive members' club than an open and welcoming community.

"Ubuntu" - "humanity towards others", right? "New to Ubuntu" should surely be the place where that pholosophy is most obviously practised. The most frustrating thing is when people tell you to do something without explaining how to do it. If someone is "New to Ubuntu" that must surely mean that they probably need walking through things. Better to risk sounding condescending (in a nice way) than just leave people scratching their heads.

Specifically on the topic that I originally posted about, I have said at least once that it's fine to tell me that the problem is too complicated (clearly it is complex) and that the best thing for me to do would be to reinstall (I do have the home directory backed up, plus a package list). The only shame of it is that I've really been trying my best to turn this into an opportunity to understand more deeply how things work, and not feeling much acknowledgement of that effort.

So be it. You can think what you like about what I've said. Maybe I could have expressed myself better in some places, but there's no point going back to cross every "t". I'm only human, and so are all of you.
    Last edited by heatopher2; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:23 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Well, I had quite a lot of trouble getting Variety to work properly, so it makes sense that that is showing up. Really a big shame, as it's such a nice app. I had a whole thread about it, here:
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2465658

I marked it as "solved" because I did get it working the way it was supposed to in the end, but maybe it's no coincidence that things collapsed completely around that time. I say "maybe", because there were already plenty of noticeable problems before I fixed that. I kind of doubt that it's only about Variety, though, eh.
    Let me mention one other thing that I think might have caused instability. Shortly after installing, back in July, I wanted to get Ubuntu to hibernate nicely, the way that Windows does, and followed a few links which got me to that point (I'll dig up the links if you think it's relevant). It worked, but less than 50% of the time, from the beginning, and more often than not I ended up needing to shut down or restart (and then getting those "stop jobs" preventing the system from shutting down for long periods). But hey, I don't know what things are related to what, and that is why I'm here :~)
    Actually, I don't really know now for where I am to start with this situation again. The problem you had in your logs are from September only. I don't have any log records from from you in July. But I still find ways to make a solution to the issue. Its just that, I have some personal issue that I have to attend too.

Let's be honest. This really isn't much of a "community" these days, is it? People on here were much more helpful when I first started experimenting with Linux a few years ago. One person has properly offered to help, and of course disappeared because it's too much for only one person to help out with the issue that I've got. I'm not especially upset about it, but just wish to point out that it's not very encouraging or welcoming as a gateway to the Linux community, is it?

Well, I shall persevere despite these feelings, because I'm determined to get to where I want to be, but I think that if my experience of this forum back at the beginning had been similar to how it's been recently, I would never have even got to where I am now. I may decide to look at a distro that has a more responsive community.
    Actually, I'm still here looking some possibilities to the issue you had in your Linux Ubuntu Operating System.
    Rock n' Roll People.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast