Thread: memory problems

Beans

memory problems

my system seems to be having problems with enough memory. As a result its freezing more than it should. I have 8gb of memory on this system but when I have firefox and thunderbird running at the same time it tends to freez. I was wondering if using ssd memory could help fix this problem as I can buy a lot more of that than buying a lot of ddr3 dimm memory. The problem, I suspect, is making the system use the ddr lmemory for lits memory.

I also wonder. If one has a frozen machine and its a memory freeze is there anyway to do anything other than re-boot?

Have no idea if this is even possible.

Thoughts?
    Memory: 16gb
    Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2600 CPU
    Graphics: NVC1

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: memory problems

Have you run a memory test yet? Start there. How many tabs do you have open in FF at one time?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I am surprised that you are having system freezes with the hardware that you have. You seem to be confused about the different meanings of memory.

System memory is Random Access Memory (RAM). It is solid state integrated circuits chips. If you like, it is also solid state memory. Hard drives are storage memory. They are made up of several spinning disks with a magnetic coating. Solid State Drives (SSDs) are a type of random access memory and are solid state integrated circuits chips like RAM chips.

The difference between RAM and SSD is that SSD is Non-Volatile Random Access Memory (NVRAM). Unlike RAM NVRAM does not lose the data when the power is removed. The data transfer rate for SSDs is a lot faster than that for the spinning discs hard drives but actually still not faster than motherboard RAM. As a replacement for hard drives they are excellent but I do not think that they can be used as a replacement for RAM.

DIMM = Dual Inline Memory Module, It refers to the layout of the integrated circuits. DDR = Double Data Rate. There is DDR2; DDR3; DDR4 & DDR5. Each version brings a faster transfer rate.

I would like to see evidence that SSD memory is being manufactured as pin for pin replacements for DDR memory.

https://www.microcontrollertips.com/...torage-memory/

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

With 8GB you should not have any issue unless in Firefox you have hundreds of tabs open at once.

Ubuntu is now a heavier system and does need more resources, but your system should be plenty.
    I just happen to like Kubuntu which is more of a mid-weight flavor. But have install Ubuntu and have had no issues.
    Have you installed the nVidia driver for your system from the repository?

I was surprised that my old 2006 laptop with 1.5GB of RAM would run Kubuntu. It would not even install Ubuntu. I originally installed the server version & added a lightweight gui. But if I open one large app like Firefox and a couple of smaller apps like Zim & terminal that was it. One more app & screen turned gray, it was going to swap and old system with old 5400rpm drive took several seconds to recover.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thanks for all the replies!

My question was answered. I didn't believe it was possible but, I think, nobody else thought it was as well. I am running with 5 machines. There is the one I use most of the day and another to backup this machine in case I screw something up. My other problem, when using this forum is that sometimes I am referencing a machine that is not in my signature. I should probably figure out a way to make sure that my signature is referencing the machine my thread is talking about. Oh, I build my own machine and have for years (get a case and motherboard, etc). Right now I am using the right signature. I also have 5 tabs open with firefox, a calendar, and my memory is running at 30%.

I might buy a 1tb ssd to replace the disc I am using. I have two drives on this machine. One does stuff and the other stores stuff. That makes it easier when I am fooling with ubuntu.

I will set this as solved.
    Last edited by jgw; September 5th, 2021 at 05:31 PM.
    Memory: 16gb
    Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2600 CPU
    Graphics: NVC1