Thread: persistent Xubuntu via Rufus

Beans

persistent Xubuntu via Rufus

I freely admit that I am abusing Xubuntu, but this is an educational experiment.

I used Rufus to "burn" a USB flash drive with Xubuntu (I set 6 GB for the persistent partition). Rufus instructions state that only Ubuntu and Debian work with Rufus in this manner, and the developer is not kidding, as Debian spins (Sparky) and Ubuntu spins (Linux Mint) do not work, but Xubuntu does. I have been able to update, add packages, and change settings, with them being reflected on the next boot.

But I have created a Frankenstein. Things are persistent, but every time I boot, I see the "Try Xubuntu Or Install Xubuntu" popup. Things would be so much faster if I could save the setting to "Try Xubuntu." I have no idea where to look for this setting, but I am willing to play around with the relevant file. Any hints?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: persistent Xubuntu via Rufus

If you hit any key (say, the space key) as soon as the logo+background appears, you should see a menu with several options, try or install among them. Select one with arrow keys, and hit Enter.

Beans

Thanks for the reply. Okay, so I pressed the spacebar during boot. I was asked for my language choice and then how I wanted to start Ubuntu. The boot was much faster than waiting for the Try/Install dialog. However, after booting, it became clear that all of my saved settings had been reset to default. So booting that way does not recognize the persistence that Rufus created, which may very well be a Rufus bug. Oh well, it was an interesting experiment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I assume that you used Rufus because you use Windows 10 and do not have Ubuntu installed.

If you have another USB stick to use as a target device:-

Boot into your existing Persistent Xubuntu session
    Download mkusb https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb
    Use mkusb to make another Xubuntu persistent device.

See if the boot process via mkusb is better for you.

I've always appreciated the elegance of the boot process and Grub menu of a mkusb live session.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Eliminating Try/Install screen:

Remove maybe-ubiquity from the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file.
    With Rufus you can do this from Windows or from a second Ubuntu Live USB, not from the running Rufus USB.