Thread: linux os question

Beans

linux os question

i got a asus laptop and thanks to some here got mint 20.2 installed. but outside of just using it for browsing it seems a bit difficult to install any programs. i tried to install a few and in order to get them even close to installing i have to get into the command window and keyboard myself to death. i remember years ago doing the in windows 3. anyway is there a linux os that is not quite so user intensive? so that if your wanting to install a program now they call them apps that the linux os will do most of the work if not all of it?

i got mint to run the chrome browser and show my pictures but it would not connect to my phone so new photos could be added, nor would it let me install a program called photodex so i could make a video program. i could not even find a program that mint would use to make that video.

so in doing a bit of research i see there are a bunch of linux type operating systems and maybe one of them will be like windows so that if your in need of a program it will help you install it. if not maybe in the next 5 years as current win10 users find their way into linux because there pcs will not run win11 that is coming out some developers may start getting a linux os to work like windows. thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: linux os question

Moved to Mint.
    Linux Mint has a Software Manager in the program menu under Administration that should be able to install any software in the Mint and/or Ubuntu repos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

The general sentiment here is, if you want an OS like Windows, just use Windows.

Linux distros are not free versions of Windows, so you need to do a bit of reasearch, and if it turns out that you rely on many Windows programs that have no linux alternatives, then you are better off with Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

To transfer files between your phone and your computer, you should consider installing mtp-tools.
    Description: Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) library tools
    libmtp is a library for communicating with MTP aware devices in POSIX
    compliant operating systems. It implements MTP Basic, the subset
    proposed for standardization.
    The Media Transfer Protocol (commonly referred to as MTP) is a devised
    set of custom extensions to support the transfer of music files on
    USB digital audio players and movie files on USB portable media players.
    This package contains tools for communicating with MTP devices.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Mint doesn't require using a terminal to install programs. There must be 60,000 packages in the Mint/Ubuntu repos, so you only need pick one from there that meets your needs. I've never heard of photodex. Have you looked at alternatives? alternativeto.net will be a huge help.

Looks like it is just a slideshow maker. That is pretty easy to accomplish using most photo tools, photo viewers or video creator tools available for Linux. I use geeqie as a slideshow viewer, for example. If I want one that will change my background on my desktop, then I use feh.

https://itsfoss.com/photo-slideshow-ubuntu/ is an article about creating a slideshow with multiple different tools.

Beans

The software you mention in your initial post (photodex) is a windows only program so you will need to find a comparable Linux software.Also, the company which created photodex went out of business in January, 2020.