Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Win Xp guest with 3d acceleration

Beans

Re: Win Xp guest with 3d acceleration

@OP

As said, as far as I know nothing short of gpu passthrough would work for Windows guests and for that you need 2 gpus. There are some blogs and tutorials on "single gpu passthrough" but it sounds very risky. Some people report that their their gpu got permanently stolen by the guest and couldn't pass it back to the host, still others report that after passing the gpu around a bit it just got lost in the ether so neither the host nor the guest have any graphic.So unless you are a pro and have a reasonably recent computer to spare (apparently it doesn't work if hardware is too old) you shouldn't try it. I am neither so I haven't.

Now there is this cheap and easy way to up your windows guest's opengl version by installing mesa on Windows guests. You'll get opengl3 so some applications that wouldn't run because of missing opengl support would. But there is no boost performance wise and there is no hardware acceleration of any kind (it is software rendering)

https://thomas.inf3.ch/2019-06-12-op...a3d/index.html
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; September 9th, 2021 at 01:41 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Whenever screwing around with GPU stuff, it is a good idea to have sshd running and know how to ssh into the system so you can put things back from a shell interface.

Installed and played a little super tux kart. Meh. There definitely was a performance problem, likely due to spice limits, but also since the VM I used was fairly limited. It is my normal desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Should we just through away our $500 game library?
    Indeed, they expect you to rebuy your games, and this time you are buying a service instead of a product ( you must be online to play you games )
    I still play some Atari 2600 games from my youth.
    I have an Atari St in the attic But I prefer emulation to play those old games

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Whenever screwing around with GPU stuff, it is a good idea to have sshd running and know how to ssh into the system so you can put things back from a shell interface.
    I am not sure how virgl screw with gpu. If things got stuck I just do ctrl+F and click close or kill the terminal, that's it.

The purpose is not to play supertuxkart, it is a way of testing how well virlgl works. You don't care for your use case, you are a system admin so you ssh into your VM, got it, but this is your preference and your way of doing things, others may have other interests and preferences.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    I am not sure how virgl screw with gpu. If things got stuck I just do ctrl+F and click close or kill the terminal, that's it.

The purpose is not to play supertuxkart, it is a way of testing how well virlgl works. You don't care for your use case, you are a system admin so you ssh into your VM, got it, but this is your preference and your way of doing things, others may have other interests and preferences.
    Definitely!

I'm 100% sold that SPICE isn't the graphics solution for gamers. I'm still looking for "easy" solutions for average people.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

So in my free time I did a few tests with Vmware player. Vmplayer is free to use but it is not FOSS, I made a Win XP vm with a virtual GPU, most games I tried tend to work with minor problems, anyway those games that I tried run better with WINE, it is rather pointless to setup a vm if games run better with WINE ( perhaps for windows users it is a useful option )
    Let me know if there are other options for playing old games
    Bye
    Last edited by demonenero84; September 19th, 2021 at 07:12 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12