Thread: Brother MFC-J4535DW initial report

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Brother MFC-J4535DW initial report

I'm posting here in the Cafe because I'm posting more of a review than support request. Mods, move it as you see fit. It's a pretty new model, easy enough to find the specs elsewhere. Here's is what I've found to work and not work with Ubuntu 20.04. Driverless printing and scanning work -- mostly. Printing works but didn't recognize the manual feed slot on the back. That feature was one of the reasons I bought this printer, printing envelopes on my 10+ year old Brother MFC-6490CW was a real bother. The driverless printer recognized the two paper drawers but not the manual feed slot. Scanning worked using the flat bed but the ADF was not recognized by the default driver. After installing the Brother drivers using the installer script the ADF was recognized as was the manual feed slot for the printer. 24 bit color scanning is much faster than the old machine. Living without a properly functioning scanner and gscan2pdf just wouldn't work.

Another major reason for upgrading was the inability of the MFC-6490CW to print attachments from outlook.office.com. The formatting was just totally whacky even though most attachments were PDFs. The old machine worked fine with traditional outlook online but when the company went to Office365(I think) things went sideways. I could save attachments as a pdf then print the pdf, that worked fine. Printing from the application? Nope. The new machine seems to work as expected. We also have a Samsung laser multifunction, it printed the attachments just fine in Firefox. Wife has a color Brother laser which worked okay. My reason for upgrading was partially driver related, partially hardware related. Executive summary: Brother MFC-j4535DW works in Ubuntu, more fully functioning with Brother drivers for now.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Brother MFC-J4535DW initial report

Linux support by Brother for its printers and multi-function devices is quite good. I have owned a Brother MFC-7360N for several years now. All aspects of multi-function work: printing, scanning, copying, faxing (send and receive.) What more could anyone ask for the $99 I paid for a refurbished model from Staples about 9 or 10 years ago.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/