Thread: New information on how to become a Ubuntu Member

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

New information on how to become a Ubuntu Member

It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

GhX6GZMB is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Re: New information on how to become a Ubuntu Member

I have a feeling that this the worst idea ever... but let's see.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Not familiar with the exact methods of the old process (although I remember a time way back when people on these forums would give public support to candidates) however the methodology listed in the link seemed fair. @ml9104 - what things don't you like about the process?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Membership can be granted with long-term and consistent contributions to the Forums. We have been doing that for many years. There is no technical contribution requirement for that.

I don't see why this is "the worst idea ever" at all.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by ml9104 View Post
    I have a feeling that this the worst idea ever... but let's see.
    Please elaborate on what you have an issue with and we might be able to address them, as a long time Ubuntu Member and a setting Ubuntu Board Member I see nothing but good coming from being an Ubuntu Member and the new process will make it much easier to apply, most people that have an issue with people becoming an Ubuntu Member do not understand what it means and why it is important, they usually have a misconception that it is about elitism but it is not.

For the record I became an Ubuntu Member through the forums and I am glad I went this route.

GhX6GZMB is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

I'll happily elaborate.
    This introduction made me somewhat nauseous:

"After a long discussion on Discourse, we’ve made the necessary changes to lower the technical barrier of entry to apply for Ubuntu membership. It’s now a simpler process with a focus on contribution, not on technical ability."

I really question the wisdom of lowering entry barriers here. You should rather raise the "Social Competences" barrier.
    Last edited by QIII; September 8th, 2021 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Unnecessary and caustic remarks removed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I really question the wisdom of lowering entry barriers here. You should rather raise the "Social Competences" barrier.
    That is just to make it easier for the non-tech people to contribute in other areas of the community as Ubuntu Members, there are so many areas that need volunteers that do not involve development in any way and the new process just makes it easier for the non tech people to apply for membership, there has never been a requirement to be a tech person to apply and become an Ubuntu Member, that being said this in no way lowers the bar for the developers, they are still held to the same standards as they have always been as developers, for many developers they are not interested or may not have the people skills or time to deal with the other areas of the community that makes Ubuntu a great place to contribute and are very necessary as many teams found out when we did not have a Community Council, the old way of signing the CoC on launchpad was very difficult for non tech people and the wiki system is hard to use and it does not function properly a lot of the time plus there has been a very long wait to get added to the wiki team to be able to create a personal wiki page just to apply for membership, those are the reasons for the revamping of the application process, it in no way lowers the bar in anyway, I appreciate your view on this matter.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Yeah -- being technical helps, but there are many roles for others that might not be as technical. You don't have to be a developer to become an Ubuntu Member.