Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PCIe/nvme driver (won't come out of sleep mode)

Beans

PCIe/nvme driver (won't come out of sleep mode)

Hello Kind People,

Just joined the forum...so...Hello. I recently bought a new HP laptop because my old dinosaur struggled with music production. It has a Samsung SSD PCIe/nvme drive. I put Ubuntu on it but then realised that when I press the power button to put it to sleep, the computer goes to sleep but won't come out of sleep when I repress it. I went to a computer repair shop today and the guy said I needed to install a driver to solve this issue. I have no idea what to do. I am capable of etching .iso files to make a bootable USB but I don't know how I would add the driver. Any advice appreciated.

Best Wishes

Matt Hammond

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: PCIe/nvme driver (won't come out of sleep mode)

Are you pressing the physical power off button? Or, are you pulling up the Power Off/Log Out menu from the power button icon at the top right of the screen.

If we open system settings>Power we see options there. You may have options I do not have because I am using a desktop machine. The options I have are for Automatic Suspend when idle. I can set a time interval. And then there is the option for the Power Button Action. It can be set to Suspend, Nothing or Power Off.

I may be wrong but I think that this action refers to the power button icon and not the physical power button of the machine. If it is possible to put the hardware into sleep mode when pressing the physical power button then I suggest putting Ubuntu into suspend mode before putting the hardware into sleep mode. I have no idea if this suggestion is any good.

Suspend and hibernation are complicated things. There is suspend to RAM where the state of the OS is saved in memory and much of the electronics is powered down but not the memory chips. And then there is suspend to disk where the state of the OS is saved on the hard drive and almost all of the electronics is powered down including the memory and hard drive.

Machines pre-installed with Microsoft's Windows will work according to the claims of Microsoft and the manufacturer otherwise they will not be fit for sale. The same will be true if we purchased a machine pre-installed with Linux/Ubuntu. When we self-install Linux we are happy with what we get.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Thanks for getting back to me. I am talking about the physical power off button. I am used to just pressing it when I go out and pressing it again when I come back. The button puts the laptop to sleep but doesn't bring it back to life. It just annoys me. I didn't have this problem with the other machine with the same OS. The computer repair guy told me to it's a problem with the Samsung PCIe nvme drive and that I need to add a driver. But how to add this driver?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by matt-hammond View Post
    I am talking about the physical power off button. I am used to just pressing it when I go out and pressing it again when I come back.
    Is that a Windows 10 feature?
    It just annoys me.
    Windows 10 features do not automatically transfer to Ubuntu.
    Rather than getting annoyed, why not just power off the laptop when you go out?
    The computer repair guy told me to it's a problem with the Samsung PCIe nvme drive and that I need to add a driver. But how to add this driver?
    What is this driver?
    Have you downloaded it?

Beans

I don't what the driver is. I haven't downloaded it. I don't want to switch off the laptop completely until the night. I might come back half an hour later after going out and just bring it back to life...It not a Windows feature. It should just work. The problem is the lack of this driver. I am looking for advice as to how to get the driver and how to install it.

Beans

Instead of using the Power Button, try the "Suspend when laptop lid is closed" setting in Tweaks. Maybe that will work better.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dennis N; September 2nd, 2021 at 08:00 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Have you updated UEFI firmware.
    And then updated SSD firmware?

My Samsung NVMe drive has an ISO with the firmware update. I just booted it and it looked like an old DOS screen with just my model & update file.

How to update Samsung:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_state_drive
    https://www.samsung.com/semiconducto...ownload/tools/

You can see exact model & firmware (FW Rev) version, if you install nvme-cli:
    sudo apt install nvme-cli
    nvme - the NVMe storage command line interface utility (nvme-cli)
    nvme --help
    sudo nvme list
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Have you changed the setting as this attachment?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

I want to be able to do it using the power button. Call me OCD but there it is.

Beans

Hey Guys. Thanks. For the advice. I think you might be on to something old Fred. I will try it. And 'tea for one' I've got avlinux installed at the moment but I will look into the settings when I get Ubuntu back on again (it's the same problem). Can I only reply to everyone or is there a reply to individual option too here?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast