Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 50

Thread: Ready to kick this laptop to the kurb!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Beans
    28

    Angry Ready to kick this laptop to the kurb!

    Hi Guys,

    I've just installed the latest version of Ubuntu for a 5th time now to this laptop. Lenovo Ideapad S130-11IGM (possibly the worst laptop ever made)

    Installs find off a USB. Runs smoothly without problem. Restarted it via the menu and rebooted no problem.

    Powered off then powered back on again... and I am stuck at the Lenovo Boot-up screen and nothing seems to happen.

    Then I cut the power, in GRUB power up (Recovery Mode)….

    I then get watchdog bug: softlockup -CPU#1 stuck for 22s!

    So turn it off again... then reboot again... letting it boot naturally into Ubuntu...

    Then back to the Lenovo Splash Screen where nothing happens.

    This is like a never-ending nightmare!

    Any help or advice before I bin this machine.

    Update - If it Play around with the Boot Settings in the Bios and just enable/disable the USB Boot and move the HDD to just under 'Ubuntu' when I reboot it seems to load!

    I then restart and it loads again...

    I then shutdown properly... then restart the machine and get stuck on the LENOVO boot screen again.

    I'm guessing the BIOS is screwed somehow.
    Last edited by howefield; September 1st, 2021 at 03:43 PM. Reason: posts merged.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Beans
    6,358

    Re: Ready to kick this laptop to the kurb!

    Is Ubuntu the only OS installed on this machine?
    Is this an EFI or Legacy/CSM install of Ubuntu?
    When you access the BIOS, what Boot Options do you have? You indicate you have an Ubuntu option, is that what you are selecting to try to boot Ubuntu?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London, England
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Ready to kick this laptop to the kurb!

    I am confused. Is Ubuntu installed onto the hard drive? Or, is this problem happening when running the try/install Ubuntu session from the USB memory stick.

    Update - If it Play around with the Boot Settings in the Bios and just enable/disable the USB Boot and move the HDD to just under 'Ubuntu' when I reboot it seems to load!
    That seems to me to be changing the boot priority from the hard drive to the USB memory stick. What is the 'ubuntu' on? The HDD? Or USB memory stick?

    Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Beans
    28

    Re: Ready to kick this laptop to the kurb!

    Ubuntu is the only OS installed.

    EFI

    Correct. Trying to boot to Ubuntu in the bios

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Forida
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Ready to kick this laptop to the kurb!

    These lightweight systems, need a lightweight operating system.
    Full Ubuntu is probably too much.
    https://ubuntu.com/download/flavours
    Light weight flavors:
    Lubuntu, xubuntu, Ubuntu MATE, Budgie

    If you want better performance, install Ubuntu to an external SSD.

    Older threads with older model Ideapad & older Ubuntu. Is your system just an update to these?
    Lenovo 110s Experience Installing and Using Linux on my Lenovo 110s UEFI settings better support than 100
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2350394
    LENOVO Ideapad 100 Laptop 16.04 Dual Boot
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2336544
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Beans
    28

    Re: Ready to kick this laptop to the kurb!

    Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I am confused. Is Ubuntu installed onto the hard drive? Or, is this problem happening when running the try/install Ubuntu session from the USB memory stick.



    That seems to me to be changing the boot priority from the hard drive to the USB memory stick. What is the 'ubuntu' on? The HDD? Or USB memory stick?

    Regards
    I'm confused as you are! haha... Ubuntu is installed on the HDD.

    Ubuntu installs fine to the HDD when you complete install and take out USB stick and press enter.. It boots fine into Ubuntu.

    If you the 'Restart' the machine... again, it boots up perfectly.

    However... if you POWER OFF the machine then Power it back on again... then LENOVO Splash screen gets stuck and you don't get any UBUNTU Loading graphic.

    I'm assuming when Powering down the machine fully, something changes somewhere (which does not change on a restart)

    Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    These lightweight systems, need a lightweight operating system.
    Full Ubuntu is probably too much.
    https://ubuntu.com/download/flavours
    Light weight flavors:
    Lubuntu, xubuntu, Ubuntu MATE, Budgie

    If you want better performance, install Ubuntu to an external SSD.

    Older threads with older model Ideapad & older Ubuntu. Is your system just an update to these?
    Lenovo 110s Experience Installing and Using Linux on my Lenovo 110s UEFI settings better support than 100
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2350394
    LENOVO Ideapad 100 Laptop 16.04 Dual Boot
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2336544
    I followed the thread ending is 2350394. Adjusted the Boot options to match these. Rebooted the machine and it logged straight into Ubuntu.

    However, when I powered down and powered back up again... I'm stuck at the Lenovo Splash screen once again.

    Has to be something to do with when turning the computer on for the first time i'm assuming?
    Last edited by howefield; September 1st, 2021 at 03:44 PM. Reason: posts merged.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    2,139
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

    Re: Ready to kick this laptop to the kurb!

    Quote Originally Posted by popnippon View Post
    Installs find off a USB. Runs smoothly without problem. Restarted it via the menu and rebooted no problem.

    Powered off then powered back on again... and I am stuck at the Lenovo Boot-up screen and nothing seems to happen.

    Then I cut the power, in GRUB power up (Recovery Mode)….

    I then get watchdog bug: softlockup -CPU#1 stuck for 22s!

    So turn it off again... then reboot again... letting it boot naturally into Ubuntu...

    Then back to the Lenovo Splash Screen where nothing happens.
    Having cut the power, which can cause file system damage, it would be sensible to boot into a live session and run fsck on your disk.

    Quote Originally Posted by popnippon View Post
    I'm guessing the BIOS is screwed somehow.
    Try setting the UEFI firmware back to default

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Forida
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Ready to kick this laptop to the kurb!

    UEFI has a one time boot setting & default boot setting.
    It looks like one time setting is working, but default is not.

    Can you change default in UEFI settings (not UEFI boot menu)?
    Most systems support boot order change with efibootmgr, but a few only keep the setting if you change it in UEFI settings.
    When installing with grub, it uses efibootmgr to add entry for ubuntu & reset boot order to make that entry first.
    see also
    man efibootmgr

    Shows entries:
    sudo efibootmgr -v

    Some older systems only wanted to boot a "Windows Boot Manager" entry.
    If only booting Ubuntu, not dual booting, you can create a new entry saying Windows but booting Ubuntu's files. Check in UEFI seems to be only on description not on actual files.
    Last edited by oldfred; September 1st, 2021 at 05:43 PM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London, England
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Ready to kick this laptop to the kurb!

    I would like to offer a wild guess. Is the CMOS battery holding its charge?

    My desktop machine has a BIOS motherboard, When I power off there is still electrical power going into the motherboard and it keeps the CMOS battery charged. If I disconnect the plug from the mains socket then electrical power is no longer going into the motherboard and as the CMOS battery on my machine needs replacing the BIOS settings reset to default settings. I need to enter the BIOS settings utility and set the boot options to my choice.

    From my experience I am wondering if the CMOS battery in your machine needs replacing. I know you have a UEFI system. I guess that laptops are not continually connected to the mains. Wild guesses are often all I am left with when I am trying to fix things.

    Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Beans
    28

    Ready to kick this laptop to the kurb!

    Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I would like to offer a wild guess. Is the CMOS battery holding its charge?

    My desktop machine has a BIOS motherboard, When I power off there is still electrical power going into the motherboard and it keeps the CMOS battery charged. If I disconnect the plug from the mains socket then electrical power is no longer going into the motherboard and as the CMOS battery on my machine needs replacing the BIOS settings reset to default settings. I need to enter the BIOS settings utility and set the boot options to my choice.

    From my experience I am wondering if the CMOS battery in your machine needs replacing. I know you have a UEFI system. I guess that laptops are not continually connected to the mains. Wild guesses are often all I am left with when I am trying to fix things.

    Regards
    Its good thinking but I tried that and same issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    UEFI has a one time boot setting & default boot setting.
    It looks like one time setting is working, but default is not.

    Can you change default in UEFI settings (not UEFI boot menu)?
    Most systems support boot order change with efibootmgr, but a few only keep the setting if you change it in UEFI settings.
    When installing with grub, it uses efibootmgr to add entry for ubuntu & reset boot order to make that entry first.
    see also
    man efibootmgr

    Shows entries:
    sudo efibootmgr -v

    Some older systems only wanted to boot a "Windows Boot Manager" entry.
    If only booting Ubuntu, not dual booting, you can create a new entry saying Windows but booting Ubuntu's files. Check in UEFI seems to be only on description not on actual files.
    It sounds like a one time setting of some kind that's for sure. As after shutting down properly and then trying to reboot it just gets stuck on the splash screen for 'LENOVO' and no Ubuntu Load animation which makes me think it's not even getting to it for some reason..

    I can change the Boot Menu to Default which is what I am trying now. I've just changed it to LEGACY and pressed F10 to save changes and it has loaded into UBUNTU.

    ... Now let's see what Happens when I turn off the machine via the Shutdown Command...

    ...Okay powering down now....

    ...Lets Power it back up...

    ..Loading GRUB...

    ...AAAAND back to the LENOVO SPLASH SCREEN FEEZE...

    BIOS Screens shots


    Apologies about the size of the images. I did not realise there was not % size option.

    Oh.. Hold on.. I just left it for like 10mins on the Splash Screen and it's Finally decided to load UBUNTU?

    What could be causing this then? hmm.. something seems not right somewhere.

    Logged in and it's frozen on me... so still not right.

    Its logged in finally but running like a Dog.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by popnippon; September 1st, 2021 at 08:46 PM. Reason: posts merged.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •