Thread: Trying Lubuntu 20.04 LTS...

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Trying Lubuntu 20.04 LTS...

I'm trying Lubuntu20.04 LTS

I know about the Lubuntu Manual and Forums at https://lubuntu.me
    Seems a bit confusing to me.

How do I disable or delete the other 3 desktops that is default enabled?
    I only need one desktop.

Does QTerminal accept the same command lines as Ubuntu's?

How do I "add to favorites"?

How do I get to the "Applications Panel"? You know, the dot square where you can click on whatever app you want to open and use.

Is there a tool like Nautilus for Lubuntu?
    (I don't think I spelt that correctly)

Is Synaptic Package Manager good for Lubuntu?

It seems quite different from the regular Ubuntu.

In Ubuntu, it's called Software Center...but in Lubuntu, it's Discover.

Lubuntu doesn't use gedit. Lubuntu replaces it with FeatherPad.

I'm not sure what replaces Thunderbird Mail.
    Last edited by wyattwhiteeagle; September 1st, 2021 at 04:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Trying Lubuntu 20.04 LTS...

There are currently 6572 users online. 19 members and 6553 guests
    Oh, c'mon...

You mean this thread has been here about 3 hours and not 1 of the 6571 other users online can at least give some kind of response?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I don't use Lubuntu myself, but I'll answer some of your questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by wyattwhiteeagle View Post
    Does QTerminal accept the same command lines as Ubuntu's?
    Mostly.
    There are three "layers" involved in the terminal. The top layer is the terminal program: QTerminal, gnome-terminal, xfce4-terminal, konsole, xterm, many others. Those are just an interface between your screen, keyboard and mouse on one side, and the text based application on the other side. All terminal programs are fairly similar and don't affect what commands you can run.
    The next layer is the shell: bash, dash, sh, csh, some others. This layer processes command lines, sets up redirection of input and output, handles filename globbing, shell variables, starts the tools you want to run from command line etc. It's actually capable enough to be used as a complete script interpreter. Ubuntu and Lubuntu typically use the same shell in the terminal, bash.
    The third layer are the tools you run in your terminal: mv, cp, rm, wget, gcc, sudo etc. Every tool in the Ubuntu repositories can be installed in every Ubuntu flavour, but the different flavours don't install the same set of tools by default. Some tools don't make sense on some flavours. For example, the command line tool that allows me to set my desktop wallpaper on Xubuntu wouldn't be useful on Lubuntu. But there is a core set of tools that you can expect to be present on every flavour.
    Every flavour has a file manager.

Synaptic package manager handles .deb packages. All Ubuntu flavours (and all other Linux distros in the Debian family) are based on deb packages and Synaptic works for all of them.

Synaptic is quite different from Software Center. Synaptic doesn't hide technical details, making it more powerful but also more intimidating to new users. Synaptic only handles .deb packages, Software Center also handles some others like snaps. I don't know about Discover.

Lubuntu doesn't use gedit. Lubuntu replaces it with FeatherPad.
    There are many text editors. All of them are good for editing text.

Oh, c'mon...

You mean this thread has been here about 3 hours and not 1 of the 6571 other users online can at least give some kind of response?
    It's Wednesday morning in Europe and middle of the night in America. Not the time when you expect the most active users on the forums. Don't expect those 6500 random passers-by to reply.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by wyattwhiteeagle;
    Oh, c'mon...
    Apologies for the tardy response, I was having breakfast in bed - cup of tea and lightly buttered toast with whisky marmalade.
    I know about the Lubuntu Manual and Forums at https://lubuntu.me
    Seems a bit confusing to me.
    Is there a tool like Nautilus for Lubuntu? > https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/2/2...cmanfm-qt.html

I'm not sure what replaces Thunderbird Mail. > https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/2/2...5/trojita.html

The Lubuntu manual looks like a very comprehensive document to me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

How do I disable or delete the other 3 desktops that is default enabled?
    I only need one desktop.
    There is only one desktop; LXQt.

The Lubuntu session includes all the Lubuntu modifications/scripts to it, ie. it's LXQt plus.

The LXQt Desktop session is a purer upstream version of the LXQt, ie. without the Lubuntu modifications that we document in our manual.

Thus the first two are both the LXQt desktop.

LXQt is a WM agnostic desktop; and Lubuntu has chosen to use `openbox` as it's WM. We've also given the end-user the option to use it without the LXQt desktop if they wish since it's installed; a WM needs to be installed for LXQt to operate.

They are variations of the Lubuntu system giving you more choice; but needing no more packages/space/RAM than if they weren't available.

LXQt uses `pcmanfm-qt` as it's file-manager, as it's super light & efficient on the LXQt desktop (it's the program that actually draws & handles your desktop so it's already in memory, using it as a file-manager won't use anything beyond what's really needed to operate your system).

FYI: You say you know about the manual; but also note there are two copies of the manual offered; the stable which is the the latest stable release (ie. 21.04 currently), plus the lts version which covers Lubuntu 20.04 LTS currently.

For the Lubuntu 20.04 LTS manual use https://manual.lubuntu.me/lts/

Lubuntu doesn't use gedit. Lubuntu replaces it with FeatherPad
    It won't be efficient and will waste resources. It was included with Lubuntu releases up to Lubuntu 18.04 LTS, as it made sense then, but it doesn't with any release from 18.10 onwards.

Synaptic can be used yes, but it'll require your system to load & use multiple libraries that do the same thing, ie. Qt5 libs for the desktop & LXQt apps, and GTK3 libs just for `synaptic` to run. That's why Lubuntu comes with Muon Package Manager (it will use libraries/toolkits that are shared with the desktop itself).

if you've enough RAM - you can use whichever you prefer.

The same applies with Software Centre vs Discover. Kubuntu & the latest release(s) of Ubuntu Studio also use Discover & Muon, as it's more efficient sharing Qt5 toolkit/libraries that are used by the desktop itself. Again if you've loads of RAM, you can use whichever you prefer. FYI: KDE uses the same Qt5 libs as LXQt does.

The same applies with Featherpad; it shares the same Qt5 libs that are needed to operate your desktop, where as using `gedit` would mean you'd need to load additional libraries wasting RAM; not a problem if you've heaps, but leaving less for apps (eg. web browsers) which are better with more.

Fair enough - to me it's the same system, with just a different GUI (graphic user interface) that I as a user control; but an identical system underneath where it matters.

I consider this system a Ubuntu one; even though I'm using LXQt & Lubuntu currently. On my box I have the option to logout & switch to GNOME (Ubuntu), or Xfce (Xubuntu) when I log back in, but I'm strange I guess (don't mind bloating my system for the days when I want something different to my usual Lubuntu/LXQt system).
    Last edited by guiverc; September 1st, 2021 at 11:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    I don't use Lubuntu myself, but I'll answer some of your questions.

Mostly.
    There are three "layers" involved in the terminal. The top layer is the terminal program: QTerminal, gnome-terminal, xfce4-terminal, konsole, xterm, many others. Those are just an interface between your screen, keyboard and mouse on one side, and the text based application on the other side. All terminal programs are fairly similar and don't affect what commands you can run.
    The next layer is the shell: bash, dash, sh, csh, some others. This layer processes command lines, sets up redirection of input and output, handles filename globbing, shell variables, starts the tools you want to run from command line etc. It's actually capable enough to be used as a complete script interpreter. Ubuntu and Lubuntu typically use the same shell in the terminal, bash.
    The third layer are the tools you run in your terminal: mv, cp, rm, wget, gcc, sudo etc. Every tool in the Ubuntu repositories can be installed in every Ubuntu flavour, but the different flavours don't install the same set of tools by default. Some tools don't make sense on some flavours. For example, the command line tool that allows me to set my desktop wallpaper on Xubuntu wouldn't be useful on Lubuntu. But there is a core set of tools that you can expect to be present on every flavour.

Every flavour has a file manager.

Synaptic package manager handles .deb packages. All Ubuntu flavours (and all other Linux distros in the Debian family) are based on deb packages and Synaptic works for all of them.

Synaptic is quite different from Software Center. Synaptic doesn't hide technical details, making it more powerful but also more intimidating to new users. Synaptic only handles .deb packages, Software Center also handles some others like snaps. I don't know about Discover.

There are many text editors. All of them are good for editing text.

It's Wednesday morning in Europe and middle of the night in America. Not the time when you expect the most active users on the forums. Don't expect those 6500 random passers-by to reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    Apologies for the tardy response, I was having breakfast in bed - cup of tea and lightly buttered toast with whisky marmalade.

Is there a tool like Nautilus for Lubuntu? > https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/2/2...cmanfm-qt.html

I'm not sure what replaces Thunderbird Mail. > https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/2/2...5/trojita.html

The Lubuntu manual looks like a very comprehensive document to me.
    Thanks for the info.

Tea, toast, and whisky marm...sounds like a breakfast of champions.

I was installing Lubuntu while the responses came in.

Apparently, I´m under the impression that Lubuntu doesn´t use Gnome.

How do I limit/prevent the collection of temporary files in Lubuntu?

Can someone help with a Ubuntu/Lubuntu Equivalent List?
    (Please ee quote below.)

Ubuntu.......................Lubuntu

Software Center........Discover Software
    Thunderbird Mail.......BlueDevil Mail
    Gedit.........................FeatherPad
    Favorite´s.................QuickLaunch

Ubuntu tool´s I haven´t found in Lubuntu...

System Settings
    System Monitor
    Disk´s
    Disk Usage Analyzer
    Gparted

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by guiverc View Post
    There is only one desktop; LXQt.

The Lubuntu session includes all the Lubuntu modifications/scripts to it, ie. it's LXQt plus.

The LXQt Desktop session is a purer upstream version of the LXQt, ie. without the Lubuntu modifications that we document in our manual.

Thus the first two are both the LXQt desktop.

LXQt is a WM agnostic desktop; and Lubuntu has chosen to use `openbox` as it's WM. We've also given the end-user the option to use it without the LXQt desktop if they wish since it's installed; a WM needs to be installed for LXQt to operate.

They are variations of the Lubuntu system giving you more choice; but needing no more packages/space/RAM than if they weren't available.

LXQt uses `pcmanfm-qt` as it's file-manager, as it's super light & efficient on the LXQt desktop (it's the program that actually draws & handles your desktop so it's already in memory, using it as a file-manager won't use anything beyond what's really needed to operate your system).

FYI: You say you know about the manual; but also note there are two copies of the manual offered; the stable which is the the latest stable release (ie. 21.04 currently), plus the lts version which covers Lubuntu 20.04 LTS currently.

For the Lubuntu 20.04 LTS manual use https://manual.lubuntu.me/lts/

It won't be efficient and will waste resources. It was included with Lubuntu releases up to Lubuntu 18.04 LTS, as it made sense then, but it doesn't with any release from 18.10 onwards.

Synaptic can be used yes, but it'll require your system to load & use multiple libraries that do the same thing, ie. Qt5 libs for the desktop & LXQt apps, and GTK3 libs just for `synaptic` to run. That's why Lubuntu comes with Muon Package Manager (it will use libraries/toolkits that are shared with the desktop itself).

if you've enough RAM - you can use whichever you prefer.

The same applies with Software Centre vs Discover. Kubuntu & the latest release(s) of Ubuntu Studio also use Discover & Muon, as it's more efficient sharing Qt5 toolkit/libraries that are used by the desktop itself. Again if you've loads of RAM, you can use whichever you prefer. FYI: KDE uses the same Qt5 libs as LXQt does.

The same applies with Featherpad; it shares the same Qt5 libs that are needed to operate your desktop, where as using `gedit` would mean you'd need to load additional libraries wasting RAM; not a problem if you've heaps, but leaving less for apps (eg. web browsers) which are better with more.

Fair enough - to me it's the same system, with just a different GUI (graphic user interface) that I as a user control; but an identical system underneath where it matters.

I consider this system a Ubuntu one; even though I'm using LXQt & Lubuntu currently. On my box I have the option to logout & switch to GNOME (Ubuntu), or Xfce (Xubuntu) when I log back in, but I'm strange I guess (don't mind bloating my system for the days when I want something different to my usual Lubuntu/LXQt system).
    This is a great help.
    Thank´s a bunch.

In the install process, for the keyboard layout, I´m accustomed to seeing ¨English (US)¨ in both lists of choices. I didn´t see it in the 2nd list in Lubuntu. I chose the ¨US, Int¨
    I think I did something wrong because when I hit the apostrophe/quotation key, I´m actually having to pound on the key to get it to type correctly.

When I dont pound on the key the onscreen output lookś like that s with the mark above the letter.

How do I get the keys to work right for my region...Western hemisphere USA region New York time zone.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

In the install process, for the keyboard layout, I´m accustomed to seeing ¨English (US)¨ in both lists of choices. I didn´t see it in the 2nd list in Lubuntu. I chose the ¨US, Int¨
    I think I did something wrong because when I hit the apostrophe/quotation key, I´m actually having to pound on the key to get it to type correctly.

When I dont pound on the key the onscreen output lookś like that s with the mark above the letter.

How do I get the keys to work right for my region...Western hemisphere USA region New York time zone.
    There is/was a English (US), and as a dumb aussie, I'm happy to accept it, or the English (Australian) if so offered (ie. internet is connected) as they are the same.

In fact (a fact which suits you perfectly), as Lubuntu uses the `calamares` installer; it's default timezone & keyboard setup is that of New York, New York USA, meaning the default suits you pretty well (if you don't have internet connected; it'll pick your defaults anyway!)

To change your default keyboard layout; have a look at the manual, or

https://manual.lubuntu.me/lts/3/3.2/...and_mouse.html

(go down to Keyboard Layout on the page)

GhX6GZMB is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

I'm running Lubuntu since 2019 and I like it a lot! 18.10, 19.10 and now 20.04 LTS.
    It's lightweight and easy to use, but you'll need to throw a bit of Win and Gnome ballast overboard.

Completely basic (I don't want to insult you here), but the Applications Menu is the blue dot in the lower left corner of the screen (like Win "Start" menu).
    You'll find all installed applications/programs here. You can drag them onto the desktop if you like for executing from there.

I've never used "Discover" myself, I find it pretty useless, but that's because I already know what I want to install on my system.

For updates I use Synaptics "sudo apt update, sudo apt upgrade" and PPAs, but also the muon Package manager. They work well together.
    Same for installs. I mostly use muon, but there are programs where entering the PPA directly is easier.
    I stay far away from snaps, the first thing I do after a fresh install is to purge snapd (using muon, of course).

QTerminal, Featherpad, PCManFM-Qt etc. are all great, no problems.

For customizing your desktop, "Preferences -> LXQt settings" is your friend.

The issue with the 4 desktops is a little tricky and non-intuitive. You set this under:
    "Preferences -> LXQt settings -> Openbox Settings" (click "desktop" when you get there).

Feel free to ask further questions. Cheers.
    Last edited by GhX6GZMB; September 1st, 2021 at 07:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ml9104 View Post
    I'm running Lubuntu since 2019 and I like it a lot! 18.10, 19.10 and now 20.04 LTS.
    It's lightweight and easy to use, but you'll need to throw a bit of Win and Gnome ballast overboard.

Completely basic (I don't want to insult you here), but the Applications Menu is the blue dot in the lower left corner of the screen (like Win "Start" menu).
    You'll find all installed applications/programs here. You can drag them onto the desktop if you like for executing from there.

I've never used "Discover" myself, I find it pretty useless, but that's because I already know what I want to install on my system.

For updates I use Synaptics "sudo apt update, sudo apt upgrade" and PPAs, but also the muon Package manager. They work well together.
    Same for installs. I mostly use muon, but there are programs where entering the PPA directly is easier.
    I stay far away from snaps, the first thing I do after a fresh install is to purge snapd (using muon, of course).

QTerminal, Featherpad, PCManFM-Qt etc. are all great, no problems.

For customizing your desktop, "Preferences -> LXQt settings" is your friend.

The issue with the 4 desktops is a little tricky and non-intuitive. You set this under:
    "Preferences -> LXQt settings -> Openbox Settings" (click "desktop" when you get there).

Feel free to ask further questions. Cheers.
    Thanks for that info,
    I was wonderin when you'd stop by.

Ubuntu-Extended-Extra's, There are a few...maybe only 4 at the most...windows apps that are important to me.
    Me being completely new to Lubuntu and somewhat "new" to Ubuntu...is Extended Extra's good for Lubuntu?

File History Tracking. In Lubuntu, How do I get to where I can disable it?

Trying to set a wallpaper, the part where you add the file path is grayed out like it's been disabled.
    How can I enable it?

Resource Usage. I like to keep the resource usage as low as possible.
    In Windows it's fairly easy to tell which settings are needed to maintain a low resources use.
    Ubuntu and Lubuntu, not quite so easy for me.
    In Ubuntu, I tried Stacer. It seemed to not save my custom settings and when I uninstalled it, System Monitor in Ubuntu seemed to have been "different".
    Almost like in Windows when something gets uninstalled.
    Sometimes the Uninstalled doesn't revert back to the original settings.
    That's where a "Restore Point" comes in.(Restore Points are for another thread, though crucially important for my situation)

What are some good settings to keep the resource Usage at a safe minimum?
    Last edited by wyattwhiteeagle; September 1st, 2021 at 11:24 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast