Thread: VidyoConnect needs Play Store app

Beans

VidyoConnect needs Play Store app

Hello I am using a HP lap top with Ubuntu 18.04. What must I do to down load VidyoConnect.

I do have a Google log in. When I go to down load the VidyoConnect app I get the following message: "This Google account is not yet associated with a device. Please access the Play Store app on your device before installing apps. Learn more."

When I click on the learn more from that message I get: "Other than some Chromebooks which run the Google Play Store, apps from Google Play can't be installed on most computers. Try visiting the recommended app store for your device instead."

Where would I go to find the app store?

Gordon33

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: VidyoConnect needs Play Store app

That appears to be an Android app so your chances of getting it to run properly on Ubuntu are I suspect very limited.

There may be some android-emulator applications but I have no idea about them, not even if they exist, and having tried using a virtual machine of Android-x86 in both Virtualbox and KVM/QEMU to run some other Android apps I think you are chasing the impossible, or nearly so anyway; my attempts to use it ran like a three legged donkey, ie, just about useless.

I'll be interested to hear whether or not you're successful with this and whether or not other users come back with more possibilities for you to try; just don't expect too much.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you can find somewhere to download an application's APK file from, then install Google Chrome web browser and then the Chrome ArcWelder extension. The idea behind ArcWelder is to allow developers to code and test Android apps when using the Chrome OS. But ArcWelder as a Google Chrome Web browser extension will also run an Android APK application. I know this to be true. I have done it.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Hello ajgreeny and grahammechanical

Iajgreeny I began to think the same thing that it might be impossible. But, grahammechanical gives me some hope. I have Google Chrome and will work on down loading Chrome Arc Welder in hopes of Down loading APK. I will see how far I can get.

Gordon

Beans

I made it through a few screens and added Arc Welder and the APK. I will see if the VidyoConnect will down load.

Beans

It looks as if the instructions grahammechanical provided worked I think the VidyoConnect is downloaded.

Gordon33

Beans

I was able to connect but did not have sound. I did not hear them and they did not hear me.