Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to add a new drive as dual boot

Beans

Re: How to add a new drive as dual boot

The link in my post above (post 9) is basically the same as the first link in your last post so I would suggest that. In your link, use the first option to install EFI to a USB . It might be simpler to write the widows iso to a DVD. I haven't used DVD's in years. Make sure the windows iso file is smaller than the capability of the DVD. The original standard size for data is/was 4.7GB and the windows iso is likely larger than that. Some newer DVD's should be able to hold more, I don't know as I don't use them. I have never used WoeUSB so don't have any opinion on it.

Try either of these methods if the DVD doesn't work.

https://www.linuxbabe.com/ubuntu/eas...ble-usb-ubuntu

https://www.onetransistor.eu/2014/09...om-ubuntu.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Not sure if very newest Windows changed to just have ISO work in FAT32 with split .wim file.

Older Windows that fit into 4GB limit of FAT32 could just be extracted & booted in UEFI boot mode.
    But then they changed the .wim file and made it larger than 4GB. The Windows installer tool to create flash drive splits the .wim file into 2 parts to work for FAT32 & UEFI boot. Older instructions on Internet often do not cover the size of the .wim newer versions of Windows.

Split .wim with Linux tools.
    https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/...dia-linux.html
    The .wim too large, Windows commands to split
    https://www.dell.com/support/article...system?lang=en
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Hi yancek and oldfred,

I haven't burned CD/DVD for prolonged time. Fortunately I found a blank-new TDK DVD-RW disc of 4.7G 4x on shelves. On inserting the TDK DVD-RW disc in the DVD Writer, it popup "bland-new DVD".

Start Brasero and select Win10 Pro ISO and then the DVD RW disc -> Burn

It went through without complaint until finish.

Now how can I check the Win10 Pro installer disc working before I disconnect the Ubuntu 20.04 SSD and the storage WD HD in my PC?

On inserting Win10 Pro installer disc on the DVD Writer, nothing popup.

Regards

Edit
    Screenshot of DVD writer spec
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by satimis; September 3rd, 2021 at 12:45 PM.

Beans

On inserting Win10 Pro installer disc on the DVD Writer, nothing popup.
    Do you not see an icon for the DVD in the left panel on Ubuntu? I don't know what all the info on the DVD means. I would suggest that you reboot and go into the BIOS firmware boot options and select the option for the DVD with windows installer on it to test if it boots. If it does boot, reboot and disconnect the drives and have only the drive you want to install windows to attached. THis 500GB drive on which you wish to install windows isn't a USB drive is it? If so, I would not expect it to work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Do you not see an icon for the DVD in the left panel on Ubuntu? I don't know what all the info on the DVD means. I would suggest that you reboot and go into the BIOS firmware boot options and select the option for the DVD with windows installer on it to test if it boots. If it does boot, reboot and disconnect the drives and have only the drive you want to install windows to attached. THis 500GB drive on which you wish to install windows isn't a USB drive is it? If so, I would not expect it to work.
    The icon is a clip added by Ubuntu forum, nothing relevant to the content in the screenshot. When I check the DVD disc it seems to me not burned compared to other discs. I wonder whether I need to blank the DVD first before burning. The DVD is RW disc. I can burn it again.

I have another blank-new TDK DVD-RAM disc, still sealed in plastic film. The said disc is made in Japan with all instruction in Japanese. The only instruction I can understand is "the disc is for recording video - 120 min".

The 500GB SSD is an internal drive with SATA connection

Edit-1
    The information on the screenshot showing that the cdrom is a DVD RAM Writer

Edit-2
    Tried booting the newly burnt Win10 Pro disc and failed, continue asking to insert the booting media
    Last edited by satimis; September 3rd, 2021 at 03:47 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Have not used DVD for installing for years.
    But remember (I think), that the rewriteable DVDs did not work reliably for creating an bootable drive for installing.
    Part of reason I converted to flash drives, was that I often had bad burns & created another coaster. I only have one coffee cup (at a time) so did not need all the coasters.
    Another thing was to use slowest speed possible as that supposed improved quality.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Have not used DVD for installing for years.
    But remember (I think), that the rewriteable DVDs did not work reliably for creating an bootable drive for installing.
    Part of reason I converted to flash drives, was that I often had bad burns & created another coaster. I only have one coffee cup (at a time) so did not need all the coasters.
    Another thing was to use slowest speed possible as that supposed improved quality.
    Hi oldfred,

Burned Win10 Pro ISO on DVD-RW disc the second time. It went through without complaint and finally eject the disc at finish.

Inserted the disc in the DVD Writer and Ubuntu detected it this time showing all files. Booted Win10 Pro. This time it worked asking where to install Win10 Pro.

I'll connect the 500G SSD in the PC and disconnect other hard drives later. I'll come back after having installed Win10 Pro,

Regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You should get two boot modes in UEFI.
    One clearly UEFIxx and other just xxx which is then BIOS.
    Be sure to boot in correct mode.

Windows requires gpt partitioning for UEFI and requires MBR(msdos) for MBR. It will erase drive, if not in correct partitioning or may give error that it cannot install. With UEFI, it wants multiple partitions, so best to just let it create whatever it wants.

Beans

Hi all,

I have tried more than an hour and couldn't get Window10 Pro installed. I could start Window10 Pro boot DVD and copy files but always failed on "Updating Windows". Warning;
    Code:
    Windows cannot copy files from E:\Sources to D:\$Windows~LS\Source.  Network problem may be preventing Windows from accessing the files.  Make sure the computer is connected to the network and restart the installation .  Error code:0x8007000s
    The computer is connected to 500MB Fibre Network. I don't know how to proceed further.

Beans

Hi all,

Now I have finished installing Win10 Pro. The solution is very simple and funny, just change the connection of the 500G SSD to another port. Now Win10 Pro is running on this PC and I have tested rebooting it.

I'll start another adventure soon reinstalling Ubuntu 20.04 because of the problem mentioned on another posting:
    How to disable Alert Sound
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....9#post14057119

I have no solution. It'll take me several hours to finish because I have to install Oracle VirtualBox and to clone all live websites on it. I have already copied all valuable data to the Data storage WD hard drive.

I'm now posting this reply on Win10 Pro

Edit
    ===
    Dual boot works;_
    1) Switch on PC. It boots straight to Ubuntu 20.04
    2) To boot Win 10 Pro, select from BIOS

Regards
    Last edited by satimis; September 5th, 2021 at 12:50 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12