Thread: boot menu gone/boot-repair option 2 did not fix it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

boot menu gone/boot-repair option 2 did not fix it

I don't need Windows often, but when I do, I really do. Boot menu does not appear - boots directly into Ubuntu. I have been using dual boot for years with little problem. Other than an upgrade issue, I can't imagine what borked the boot menu as I have not been messing with the system in any way recently.
    At first tried just
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    and got output that looked hopeful

Code:
    fred@fred-Inspiron-3847:~$ sudo update-grub
    [sudo] password for fred: 
    Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub'
    Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub.d/init-select.cfg'
    Generating grub configuration file ...
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.11.0-27-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.11.0-27-generic
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.11.0-25-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.11.0-25-generic
    Found Windows Boot Manager on /dev/sda1@/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings
    done
    but no change. Ran Boot-Repair via livedisk, but also no change.
    Suggestions welcome.

Boot-Repair data is in https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/YJxr669FVJ/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: boot menu gone/boot-repair option 2 did not fix it

Boot-Repair fixes Linux boot issues, most often just reinstall of grub. It does not fix Windows issues.

Grub only boots working Windows.
    And Windows updates often turn fast start up back on which sets hibernation flag preventing the Linux NTFS driver from properly seeing the NTFS partition(s).

Can you directly boot Windows from UEFI boot menu (not grub menu).
    And maybe f8 to get into repair mode? And turn off fast start up again or make other fixes?

Always best to also have Windows repair/recovery flash drive to make Windows repairs, if you cannot boot Windows.
    Repair/backup/restore
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...6-73fab304c246

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...covery-options
    Last edited by oldfred; August 31st, 2021 at 04:42 AM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by JamButty View Post
    Boot menu does not appear - boots directly into Ubuntu.
    When you power on the PC, try tapping ESC while the PC boots.
    Does Grub appear?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Tried repeatedly with ESC and F12 while booting but before initial Ubuntu splash appears. It does not get me into grub. It either hangs or the boot sequence commands are displayed until it completes boot into Ubuntu. Just now found reference of F2 for Dells to get into BIOS - maybe that will work. Trying now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I presume you mean that the grub menu is not appearing so let's see the output of [cat /etc/default/grub] to check there is nothing there causing this problem.

In a dual boot system the grub menu normally shows at every boot so something may have gone wrong there, or more likely, there is a problem in your Windows system which Ubuntu will not be able to fix; you may need to boot to a Windows Recovery DVD instead.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you have UEFI fast boot on, either originally or from an UEFI update reset, you often do not have time to press any keys.
    Fast boot assumes no system changes, so UEFI does not rescan system for what hardware you have and does not then write that updated info onto drive for operating system. If making system changes best to have fast boot off in UEFI, different than Windows fast start up setting which also needs to be off.

You usually can get one normal boot when fast boot is on, with a full "cold" boot. Full power down including removing battery if laptop, and holding power switch for 10 sec or so with system unplugged, to drain all power.
    If that does not work, you have to either remove coin battery or jumper the reset pins on motherboard. But then that resets settings for UEFI and you immediately have to go into UEFI and redo all the settings you change. I keep a list as UEFI updates reset 6 or 7 settings on my motherboard, some required, some optional that I prefer.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

F2 got me into BIOS. Exiting BIOS into boot, tried ESC again and this time it got me the grub command line. Reboot command from there got me the standard boot menu back. Used Windows a few minutes to see it it looked kosher. It did. Shut down, repeated procedure to make sure it worked as a stopgap if needed, then rebooted normally and the menu remained.
    Thanks all.