Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prohibited sign meaning?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Prohibited sign meaning?

You may also want to try another HDMI cable just to make sure that yours isn't bad.....

Beans

That's an excellent idea, thanks AutoDave. I've spoken with Samsung and they assured me it's not the display...

So, it has to be Ubuntu, right?

B

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I believe that to be a warning coming from the PC itself: not from Ubuntu. Like said before, more than likely a mis-match of resolution and/or frequency. I would definitely try another cable first and then I would look to see what the supported resolutions are for the monitor along with the monitor's frequency. Then compare that to what Ubuntu is telling you that it is using for resolution and frequency. But try a cable first.

Beans

Btw, try booting from the install media and go to the desktop, but don’t do anything - just let it sit and see whether the sign pops up again. That may tell you something.

Beans

When it pops up, press CTRL + ALT + T to run a terminal and run:
    Code:
    dmesg | tail
    What is the output please?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by barry-normal View Post

AMD Threadripper 32 core
    NVIDIA RTX 3090
    ASRock Taichi MB
    128 GB RAM, Corsair DDR4 3600MHz
    Wraith Ripper cooler (Prime suspect)
    NZXT Case
    Samsung 2TB M2
    Samsung 4TB ssd
    Just popped in to say, perhaps I'm speaking for myself, but that's not the kind of spec I'm used to seeing around here (or at all). Nice build.

If you want a laugh I'll tell you what my latest linux box is

Beans

Firstly, thanks everyone for applying your collective wisdom to this problem. It's sending me a bit mad trying to work it out.

1. I've now tried all cables and am certain this isn't the problem.
    2. Booting into a USB with Ubuntu 20.04 with the system just idling the 'forbidden' symbol is on and off constantly.

3. ActionParsnip, that command is exactly what I was looking for, thanks so much. I've attached the output of the dmesg command. It didn't enlighten me, if you have any insight, I'd love to hear.

I also used 'dmesg --follow' and when the 'forbidden' image pops up NOTHING HAPPENS!

So, I'm back to suspecting the Samsung display.

Unfortunately, the only other display I have is an old Apple one, which doesn't have an HDMI port. I have ordered an adapter. So watch this space!

steve234 I'm blushing. And would be interested to know your latest build spec.

Thanks!

B
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Lol, its a laptop I got cheap on ebay. Has a mighty 2nd gen i3 with HD3000 integrated graphics. Came with 3GB ram, but now has a huge 8GB thanks to my local freecycle groups.

Apologies for getting off topic, good luck with troubleshooting the display once the adapter arrives

Beans

Back on topic. I've had a quick look at theSAMSUNG ODYSSEY G5 32 user manual and noticed a couple of things

Have you been able to verify what resolution, refresh rate etc both 20.04 and 21.04. are using. Particulrly whether that is within the specs listed at pages 36 / 37 of the manual?

E.g. what does
    Code:
    xrandr
    say about the resolution being put out by 20.04 and 21.04.

What does the monitor's self diagnosis tool report (page 29 of the manual), if anything, while the sign is showing?

Beans

Steve234, thanks so much for taking the time to read the manual!

The self diagnosis displays a test screen so I think that's more for catastrophic failures than unspecified prohibitions... All the resolutions look legit. I've tried running at each setting. Same, unpredictable outcome.

The warning is only ever on screen for about one or two seconds at a time. It can flash up maybe a dozen times, then stop for a bit. Then pop up once an hour later. Or not for a day. I'm genuinely at a loss.

So, I took the step of wiping the system and re-installing 21.04 last night.

No prohibited sign yet. If nothing appears by end of the day I'll start re-installing stuff. But slowly. I'll post here if/when the sign makes a re-appearance.

Off topic. I really like the idea of building smart 'stuff' using scavenged, and low power components. I have a box full of bits from the last occasion I had time to daydream about creating robot nicknacks. One day!

Thanks

B

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast