Thread: Looking for great USB 3.0 HUB Linux compatible

Beans

Looking for great USB 3.0 HUB Linux compatible

Hello everyone,

On my laptop I only have a USB 3.0 port but I have several external 3.0 HDDs. I know that Usb Hubs divide their speed according to the number of connected devices. I mainly intend to use them to exchange data between my external USB 3.0 desktop HDDs.
    All I would like is that during copies from one external desktop HDD to another (I never copy from one HDD to 2 HDD at the same time and never do simultaneous cross transfers ), the Hub gives me the same speeds that I would have if I had plugged them into a computer equipped with 2 native USB 3.0 ports. Do I necessarily need a USB 3.0 Hub with AC power for that, or USB powered models can provide this kind of service.
    Could you recommend a good product to me?

Thanks for having read.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Looking for great USB 3.0 HUB Linux compatible

Absolutely get a powered hub. And don't get a cheap one: I have several here, powered, that didn't last a year. Get a name brand.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I have here a portable 5Gbps USB 3.0 4 Ports Hub USB3.0 Splitter USB Hubs Adapter for my Laptop Computer
    I just bought it from a computer known shop here in Philippines and I don't really know about the brand name
    here but it just says that; High power supply system USB 3.0 HUB
    And it works smoothly to my Linux Ubuntu Operating System. So Good Luck and regards.
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread
    Rock n' Roll People.

Beans

Thank you all for your good shares. I've read a lot about these devices and learnt many useful things. For example for my case (need to connect External desktop Hdds of about 1 to 4 Tio), I really need a powered Hub like recommended by Autodave. I searched a lot and fall on this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-UH7...ct_top?ie=UTF8

I think that as long as I stick to using only 2 big hdds at a time, it seems that I won't have no bad surprises (except in case of factory defaults). What do you think?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

also check out raspberrypi stores. they have good hubs available, linux compatible, tested...

otherwise TP-Link should be a good choice.

Edit: another option if you have desktop drives is to get some sort of container, external storage /racks. i know i saw one that took in 2 and one that took in 4 HDD drives. can't remember their names.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla