Thread: Launcher for Favorite Files?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Launcher for Favorite Files?

For many years, I used "Drawers" to easily launch my favorite files.
    Drawers allowed me to pin my chosen files (about 15) in my chosen fixed positions in a window which opened with one click on the Applications Launcher (Dash to Panel) & closed automatically after selection.

Since Ubuntu 20.04 Drawers is no longer available.

Thanks to Dennis N in another thread, I found that Gnome Shell Extension "Files View" seemed to do just what I wanted!
    I could pin any file or folder in the "Favorites" area.
    I could access Files View Favorites in one click from the panel.
    I could launch any Favorite in one simple click.
    Files View closed automatically afterwards.

But since 21.04, Files View is no longer available!

So I am again looking for a Favorite Files Launcher...

Thanks for any suggestion!
    Acer Aspire TC-100-007: Multi boot W10 / 21.04 / 18.04 LTS: Canon TS705: Epson V200: also Asus 1015PED: W7 / 18.04 Lubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Launcher for Favorite Files?

I still didn't find a Favorite Files Launcher as good as Drawers or Files View, but at the moment I am using Nemo.
    Nemo allows me to select any file or folder as Favorite, and displays them in a Favorites pane, arranged by Name, Size, Type or, supposedly Manually - except Manually doesn't seem to work for me.
    I can then launch those files in 1 click (if I choose that option).
    So my requirements are more-or-less met, except Nemo does not close or minimize after launching a file.

I was surprised to find that Nautilus also shows these Favorite Files & can launch them, but the title bar then shows Filename (Remote), whatever that means.
    Strange that Nautilus cannot create Favorite Files itself (except those at the top of the file system).

Am I taking a risk in using Nemo to handle Favorites & Nautilus for other File Management Tasks?

Still no simple solution like Drawers?
    Acer Aspire TC-100-007: Multi boot W10 / 21.04 / 18.04 LTS: Canon TS705: Epson V200: also Asus 1015PED: W7 / 18.04 Lubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by 2CV67 View Post
    Still no simple solution like Drawers?
    Using Nautilus (Files) 3.36.3-stable

Open Nautilus > Right Click Folder (or file) > Click Star

Make sure Sidebar is displayed in Nautilus

Click Starred in sidebar and select your favourite.

Any good?

Edit: I've been playing with this feature for 15 minutes and I've discovered that it doesn't work seamlessly with all files nor with hidden folders such as .local or .mozilla
    It seems to depend on the original location of the file?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tea for one; September 5th, 2021 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Added more info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I am using Files (Nautilus) 3.38.2-stable.
    As far as I can see, I can only successfully "Star" files or folders which are directly attached to the home folder.
    Anything further down the file system (nearly everything!) simply fails to appear in the "Starred" pane.
    I assume this is a bug rather than a real intention, but it has been like that for at least a year...
    Pity!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I use Krusader dual pane manager in preference to Nautilus. I then use BookMan !! in Krusader to refer to favourite files/folders.
    Krusader is central to my workflows.

But you could try Nautilus Py Extensions.

Beans

Try the gnome shell extension "Files View". It works in Ubuntu 20.04. Options to show Recent, Favorites, and Current Folder. In the screenshot, the folder Common Files is on another disk, so it looks like the Favorites do not have to all be in your home folder.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    Try the gnome shell extension "Files View". It works in Ubuntu 20.04.
    Yes, but as I said in my first post here, Files View seems to be no longer available in 21.04!

Beans

Sorry about that. Must be mental fatigue. I had forgotten about the other thread. With the changes in Gnome Shell 40, I have little hope we will see it there either.