Thread: Newbie using Ubuntu 21.04, Problem with ‘Metered Connection’.

Beans

Newbie using Ubuntu 21.04, Problem with ‘Metered Connection’.

See image. Updates paused but metered connection box unchecked. How to fix this?
    The solution should be something a newbie can implement.
    This thread is relevant https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome...e/-/issues/996 but I was unable to follow all the posts that had lots of terminal commands. Is that the only way to fix this?
    ( I found this link in this thread https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2449764 )

Can I get around this issue by just manually running 'sudo apt update' and 'sudo apt upgrade'? Will that upgrade the same group of apps?

Attached Images Attached Images
    MSI Bravo 15 AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 15.6" 40GB A4DDR-212IN, 2TB nvme (Ubuntu 21.04) and 500GB nvme (Windows 10)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Newbie using Ubuntu 21.04, Problem with ‘Metered Connection’.

You or more accurately, the system, are trying to run updates on a metered connection. I don't use auto updates nor a metered connection but I think you need to turn off autoupdates and use the update manager or those apt commands you mention; the same packages will be updated.

This is one of the several reasons why some users, including me, turn of auto updates completely but it does mean that you have to ensure that you manually update frequently which is an important maintenance action.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; August 29th, 2021 at 08:01 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    You or more accurately, the system, are trying to run updates on a metered connection.
    But the 'metered connection' box is unchecked. So why does it think the connection is metered? Is there some setting on my Android Samsung smartphone that is telling Ubuntu that the connection is metered?

----------------
    Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    but I think you need to turn off autoupdates and use the update manager or those apt commands you mention; the same packages will be updated.
    OK. I can do that. But I'd still like to fix the underlying problem. Can it be fixed? Or is this a known, unfixed Gnome/Ubuntu/Linux bug?
    MSI Bravo 15 AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 15.6" 40GB A4DDR-212IN, 2TB nvme (Ubuntu 21.04) and 500GB nvme (Windows 10)

Beans

Problem solved with command: nmcli connection modify Galaxy\ A71BD53 connection.metered no