Thread: CIS Benchmark Fail - SSH Hardening

Beans

CIS Benchmark Fail - SSH Hardening

Hello! I found that Ubuntu fails the following CIS Benchmarks:

3001 - SSH Hardening: Protocol should be set to 2 ___ Why does Ubuntu allow the use of SSH 1 by default?
    3002 - SSH Hardening: Root account should not be able to log in ___ Shouldn't this be disallowed by default?
    3005 - SSH Hardening: Empty passwords should not be allowed ___ Shouldn't these be disallowed by default?
    3006 - SSH Hardening: Rhost or shost should not be used for authentication ___ Is this necessary for Ubuntu?
    3007 - SSH Hardening: Grace Time should be one minute or less.
    3008 - SSH Hardening: Wrong Maximum number of authentication attempts ___ More than 4 should not be allowed

Cheers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: CIS Benchmark Fail - SSH Hardening

Quote Originally Posted by seeptiim View Post
    Hello! I found that Ubuntu fails the following CIS Benchmarks:

3001 - SSH Hardening: Protocol should be set to 2 ___ Why does Ubuntu allow the use of SSH 1 by default?
    3002 - SSH Hardening: Root account should not be able to log in ___ Shouldn't this be disallowed by default?
    3005 - SSH Hardening: Empty passwords should not be allowed ___ Shouldn't these be disallowed by default?
    3006 - SSH Hardening: Rhost or shost should not be used for authentication ___ Is this necessary for Ubuntu?
    3007 - SSH Hardening: Grace Time should be one minute or less.
    3008 - SSH Hardening: Wrong Maximum number of authentication attempts ___ More than 4 should not be allowed

Cheers
    The last 3 seem valid, but the first 3 are not part of normal Ubuntu installs.
    When reading the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file, the commented lines show the defaults. To change them, remove the comment and change the value.

• 3001: Using ssh v2 has been the default in Ubuntu for at least 12 yrs. If there isn't a specific setting, that what you get. I think v1 support was removed from ssh. https://www.openssh.com/txt/release-7.6 says v1 was completely removed in 2017. [B]Outdated tool./B] BTW, I'm positive that 12.04 had the Protocol 2 setting.
    • 3002: root logins. Ubuntu doesn't allow root logins local or remote. I suspect some cloud/VPS image is the issue here. Bad image.
    • 3005: Empty passwords cannot be set, except by root. This is a non-issue or another bad image. The default sshd setting is:
      Code:
      #PermitEmptyPasswords no
    • 3006: I haven't seen rhosts or shosts used anywhere since the 1990s. The use of rhosts is meaningless in v2 ssh. It isn't possible. Outdated tool. I just checked 20 systems here and none of them have any files named shosts or .shosts. Seems like a non-issue. We always use ssh-keys.

Always helpful to check the manpage for stuff. For example:
    Code:
         PermitEmptyPasswords
                 When password authentication is allowed, it specifies whether
                 the server allows login to accounts with empty password
                 strings.  The default is no.
    The last 2 in the list are matters of opinion. Change them if you want to be compliant with the specific stuff.
    3007 - The default is 2m. Meh. We use key-based authentication, so this is really a non-issue.
    3008 - Wrong Maximum number of authentication attempts. Fail2ban defaults to 5, but that can be configured however you like. MaxAuthTries defaults to 6, which is what the OpenSSH team chose.

I think passwords for ssh should be prohibited 10 minutes after a new machine is installed and RSA-based keys shouldn't be allowed. Let's get CIS to add those to their list.

My practical ssh "hardening" .... includes:
    1. Code:
      sudo apt install ssh fail2ban
    2. Then modify the sshd_config this way, at the bottom of the file:
      Code:
      PasswordAuthentication no
      Match Address 172.22.22.0/24,172.21.22.0/24,172.22.21.0/24
            PasswordAuthentication yes
      This effectively prevents any passwords to be used outside the 3 internal LANs we have. We have some other LANs on 10.x.x.x, but those have to use keys, never passwords, as if they were over the internet.
    3. Never using 22/tcp on the internet. Moving to any other port - probably 60,000+ gets the attempted cracks reduced to about 0. This is something configured in the router. Inside the LAN, 22/tcp is fine for our needs.

Beans

Re: CIS Benchmark Fail - SSH Hardening

Thank you very much for your detailed answer! I appreciate it.