Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I remove ubuntu and install an iso without usb or cd?

Beans

Question How can I remove ubuntu and install an iso without usb or cd?

In summary:
    I want to partition the hard disk and put an iso on it, then load the iso and erase ubuntu. I need help to know how to do it.

No need to read:
    I want to format ubuntu and install an iso of windows 10 lite, it is quite difficult to use linux for games, many do not load me so I decided to go back to a version of windows 10 but lite, I have tried to do it with usb and cd, but for some reason I a line appears when I load them and the boot does not work. Look for solutions and nothing, so what I want is to make a disk partition, put an iso on it and start it to format the partition with ubuntu. I was going to do it with EasyBcD, but it doesn't work and I can't find alternatives that I can understand.
    Last edited by QIII; August 27th, 2021 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Default font, weight

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: How can I remove ubuntu and install an iso without usb or cd?

Beans

Question Re: How can I remove ubuntu and install an iso without usb or cd?

Quote Originally Posted by C.S.Cameron View Post
    I can't make a partition, I'm new to linux, I don't understand how I can do it, I can't unmount the partition because it has the OS.

Beans

First off, if you want to create a bootable windows from a usb/DVD, I would suggest you go to a windows forum of which there are many.

If you can't your windows iso bootable on a flash drive, why do you think it will work on a hard drive? What methods/steps did you use to create a bootable windows? It's certainly possible if you leave Ubuntu on the drive to boot the windows extracted iso just as it is without the Ubuntu bootloader, using similar methods to creating the bootable usb..

what I want is to make a disk partition, put an iso on it and start it to format the partition with ubuntu.
    You have Ubuntu on a very large partition so you could shrink that and create and ntfs partition to put your extracted windows iso on. You can NOT do this from a running system, be it Ubuntu, another Linux or windows. Use the USB/DVD on which you had the Ubuntu install iso as it has GParted on it. You click the Partition tab at the top and then click the Resize tab in the drop down menu and shrink it to about 200GB and use create a 10GB partition on which to put the windows installer, then create another ntfs partition on which to install windows.

Did you have windows 10 previously installed?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It is a few years since I downloaded from Microsoft an evaluation ISO of Windows 8 and tried to install it. I had already created unallocated space at the front of the hard drive by using a Ubuntu live session and GParted to shrink my Ubuntu partition. I failed because I ran the Windows 8 live session and selected Install and Windows 8 did not install.

I succeeded when I ran the Windows 8 live session again and then choose to run the partition manager and use that to turn the unallocated space into a Windows partition with a Windows format that the installer could detect and offer to install Windows 8 into.

You may have to do something similar if you wish to dual boot with Ubuntu as I wanted to do. But, that is not what you want. So, I agree with earlier advice that you seek instruction from a Windows web site. Just to show how helpful we are at Ubuntu forums, please read these instructions.

Select the partition with the current installation (usually "Drive 0"), and click the Delete button.

1. Quick tip: If "Drive 0" has multiple partitions, you have to select and delete each partition to allow the setup to use the entire hard drive for the new clean installation. The Windows 10 setup will create the required partitions automatically during the process. Also, it's not necessary to delete the partitions on secondary drives.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-d...ion-windows-10

Regards
    Last edited by grahammechanical; August 28th, 2021 at 12:48 AM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

I'd just borrow a USB stick with the Windows installer on. Saves you a tonne of hassle

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Modify root Partition without USB

Since you do not already have any spare space to create extra partitions, You can boot an Ubuntu ISO toram using Ubuntu's GRUB and modify the root partition.

1) Put the Ubuntu ISO file on your desktop.

2) Add menuentry for ISO to GRUB, (Add the following menu entry to /etc/grub.d/40_custom and then run sudo update-grub in terminal):

Code:
    menuentry "ubuntu-20.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso desktop toram" {
           set isofile="/home/cscameron/Desktop/ubuntu-20.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso"
           loopback loop (hd0,3)$isofile
           linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile fsck.mode=skip toram
           initrd (loop)/casper/initrd
    }
    (Use your own username, not mine).

3) Reboot and select "ubuntu-20.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso desktop toram" from the GRUB menu.

4) Once booted open terminal and run:

Code:
    sudo umount -lrf /isodevice
    5) You should now be able to shrink the root partition and add more partitions using GParted.

If you have a spare USB drive 8GB or larger, the method on the following page using mkusb might be easier:

https://askubuntu.com/a/1359829/43926

Last edited by C.S.Cameron; August 28th, 2021 at 07:27 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by C.S.Cameron View Post
    Modify root Partition without USB

Since you do not already have any spare space to create extra partitions, You can boot an Ubuntu ISO toram using Ubuntu's GRUB and modify the root partition.

1) Put the Ubuntu ISO file on your desktop.

2) Add menuentry for ISO to GRUB, (Add the following menu entry to /etc/grub.d/40_custom and then run sudo update-grub in terminal):

Code:
    menuentry "ubuntu-20.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso desktop toram" {
           set isofile="/home/cscameron/Desktop/ubuntu-20.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso"
           loopback loop (hd0,3)$isofile
           linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile fsck.mode=skip toram
           initrd (loop)/casper/initrd
    }
    (Use your own username, not mine).

3) Reboot and select "ubuntu-20.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso desktop toram" from the GRUB menu.

4) Once booted open terminal and run:

Code:
    sudo umount -lrf /isodevice
    5) You should now be able to shrink the root partition and add more partitions using GParted.

If you have a spare USB drive 8GB or larger, the method on the following page using mkusb might be easier:

https://askubuntu.com/a/1359829/43926

Well, I would like to do it through a usb, I have a usb, that usb has the iso already configured of windows. But there is a problem, nothing happens at first, a hyphen appears blinking on the screen, the same thing happened to me when I tried to install ubuntu and delete windows, but in windows its easy create partitions and install isos.

So now I would like to know how to install windows via usb and uninstall ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by doxne View Post
    Well, I would like to do it through a usb, I have a usb, that usb has the iso already configured of windows. But there is a problem, nothing happens at first, a hyphen appears blinking on the screen, the same thing happened to me when I tried to install ubuntu and delete windows, but in windows its easy create partitions and install isos.

So now I would like to know how to install windows via usb and uninstall ubuntu.
    I tried to do it with the link you left me but it didn't work for me, I get this:

I'm sure it's because of the iso, but I want to use this iso because it's lite. (It is the official windows, I am not that stupid to download a bad iso)
    What do I do then? I want to install the iso through a USB now, but new problems appear and also let's not forget that I have problems starting the USB, my bios does not start it I do not know why (I only have legacy boot).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

You need a USB device at least 8GB in size. (The one I use for installing Windows is 16 GB).

Win10_20H2_English_x64.iso is over 6GB.

It looks to me like your USB is too small.

I am not familiar with Windows Lite, It is not an official Microsoft project:

From Microsoft:
    "The Windows Lite you read about is a hacked version of Windows 10, it has had its source files altered by persons unknown to remove all the UWP apps and other functionality"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast