Thread: How to classify annoying UI bug that freezes the system

Hybrid View

Beans

How to classify annoying UI bug that freezes the system

So I'm really not sure if this is a general Ubuntu level bug with Xorg, an issue with Gnome 3 on Ubuntu, or more specifically, an issue with the DisplayLink driver (although unlikely).

I have fresh install of Ubuntu 20.04 desktop on a Dell Latitude Rugged 5420, encrypted LVM configuration, with Gnome 3 bare metal as well as a few Gnome addons (most of which have been disabled for process of elimination). I have the latest DisplayLink drivers and am running a Targus quad-port docking station connected via USB C port. I am running four identical video outputs on the Targus. The issue I have found can be triggered regardless of whether or not my built-in laptop display is on/open. When triggered, my video output freezes, none of my input appears to be responsive which includes both external keyboard connected via Targus and internal keyboard. I can not switch to any of my TTY terminals or seemingly get the system to shutdown from CTRL + ALT_L + DEL key combinations either. One would assume the system is froze at this point but oddly, if I have music or a video playing, the audio keeps functioning (which is also connected via the Targus). To remedy the situation, I have to hard kill the power using the power button and then cold boot.

Triggering the problem is the easy part. All I have to do is move my mouse pointer to the position on the screen where my four monitors intersect in a 2 X 2 pattern. Again, this is still true even with my internal laptop display activated which is configured to the lower left of the 2 X 2 grid. Given that I have a lot of work to do and I have already suffered great setbacks from this problem in recent days, I do not have time right now to determine exactly what the pixel buffer to this life ruining dead zone which I can not cross with my virtual dagger. Reboots take a bit with my work environment so now I at least can avoid it a little better.

Any help on where I should post this bug would be great because I really don't understand enough to say which of these systems would likely be responsible for this type of issue.

Thank you in advance!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How to classify annoying UI bug that freezes the system

Eliminate odd things first. Start with displaylink. https://www.displaylink.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=67148

Beans

Re: How to classify annoying UI bug that freezes the system

While I appreciate that advice (which I've already done as much as I can) it is unhelpful here. The very basis of the problem is that it exists only in this multiple monitor setup which I can only achieve on this particular machine by using DisplayLink. I only have one HDMI output so I can not recreate a quad monitor setup with that obviously.