Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: No more snap for me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No more snap for me.

First i am glad that snap is not force-tie-in with Ubuntu and i hope it stays that way. I removed all snap systems and stuff 100% after it made great costly bill with forced refresh updates on mobile wifi hotspot device. Idea is great but forced upgrades and slowness is not for me and i just use pure barebone Ubuntu desktop and portable apps from now on. I update my system with Synaptic when i need and have prepared to update.
    tox.chat, reactos.org

GhX6GZMB is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Re: No more snap for me.

I'm with you.
    The first thing I do after a fresh install is remove snapd. Useless.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Namebench is a python2 program for DNS testing. It is no longer available in Ubuntu 20.04 forward, as well as in Debian 11, but is available as a snap. So, yesterday I ran <sudo snap install namebench-snap>, and tested what was needed. It was useful, practical and easy. I also use a mate-welcome snap, ... much recommended.

Now, the notion of being forced to use something, or something being force-tied comes up from time to time. So, Ubuntu has APT, Gnome3, the linux kernel and GNU tools by default. Are you foced to use them? In a way, yes, certainly, some more then the others, but unremovable snaps - no way.
    Last edited by mikewhatever; August 26th, 2021 at 10:47 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If we update/upgrade through the terminal snap apps do not get updated. A special command is needed to update/refresh snap apps and Software Updater runs it as well as update & upgrade. Software Updater also runs the autoremove command. So, if we stop using Software Updater we should run

Code:
    sudo apt autoremove
    from time to time to remove excess Linux kernels. Whether was want to remove snapd to prevent bandwidth being used to update it, is our choice.

Regards
    Last edited by grahammechanical; August 28th, 2021 at 12:59 AM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Post #4 sounds right to me. I have three laptops, one on 21.04 and two on 21.10. Snapd is installed and active on all three. I do all of my system management at the command line and my snapd list is empty other than snap it's self. If I need an application I use apt-get and if I want to install a deb I use Gdebi. If it turns out that I have to use a snap for some reason then snapd is there and I will use it. So far doing fine without it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I just hope that Canonical never ever force snap installation and thus cannot be removed 100%. Canonical please never be like Microsoft who becomes more and more enforcing. Canonical be light, be configurable and always allow people to remove & remaster. Thanks.
    tox.chat, reactos.org

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

In my opinion the future for Linux is Flatpack or Snap (or both) but not rpm or deb.

Some years ago Canonical produced a version called Ubuntu Personal. It was a snap based OS that had Over The Air updates and it was set up so that an update could never break the OS. I had it installed. It had Mir for the display driver and Unity 8 for the user interface. And it worked too! And looked good. It only had Click apps available in the App store and they did not work.

Canonical never transitioned Personal on to the next Ubuntu version. Canonical still has a Snap based OS. It is called Ubuntu Core. It is at version 20. What does it need to become a fully snap based distribution of Ubuntu? A snap desktop environment; a snap user interface and the standard default applications compiled as snap applications. There is a snap version of LibreOffice and now we have an official snap version of Firefox.

I see a vision of the future. Redhat or Canonical or small independent community developed distributions. Oh, by the way, Redhat has been working on something similar for years. It is an immutable OS. That means the user cannot do much configuration. It is called Silverblue.

https://fedoramagazine.org/what-is-silverblue/

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by forcecore View Post
    I just hope that Canonical never ever force snap installation and thus cannot be removed 100%. Canonical please never be like Microsoft who becomes more and more enforcing. Canonical be light, be configurable and always allow people to remove & remaster. Thanks.
    With time and skill, you can remove and remaster all you like. Get rid of APT and Python, implement alternatives, write a new C compiler, through out all the GNU tools.
    Complaining that you are foced to use things you don't want, is a fight against reality, and a way to blame others for your own shortcomings. Instead, look at the "glass half full" part of the deal.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I see a vision of the future. Redhat or Canonical or small independent community developed distributions. Oh, by the way, Redhat has been working on something similar for years. It is an immutable OS. That means the user cannot do much configuration. It is called Silverblue.

https://fedoramagazine.org/what-is-silverblue/

Regards
    Would something like that be popular for enterprise use? Or perhaps schools?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Would something like that be popular for enterprise use? Or perhaps schools?
    I think so. The experts use the term "immutable." It means that the OS is in its own partition and it is read-only. That prevents the user from changing system files. It might even prevent clever but stupid school students from breaking the school network. And then there are the self-important but unimaginative company managers who have their password on a sticky note attached to the screen.

I do not know about the method used by Redhat but Canonical uses two read-only partitions (A & B). The OS boots from partition A. The update goes into partition B and the OS boots from partition B. The next update will go into partition A and the OS will boot from partition A. And back and forth the updates and booting goes. If an update should fail the OS continues to boot from the partition it was booting from before the update began. That should mean that people come into work and do not find a broken OS due to a failed update that took place during the night.

I do not want to get into a debate on Flatpack verses Snap but surely it is better to have applications that are not allowed to access system directories and are severely restricted as to what directories they can access?

I do not think this will be popular. Change is never popular but then a new generation comes along who does not know any difference and what was unpopular is accepted as normal life. And so we live.

Regards

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast