Thread: is there a way to get automatic notifications that tells the user if there is no inte

Beans

is there a way to get automatic notifications that tells the user if there is no inte

is there a way to get automatic notifications that tells the user if there is no internet connection?

I'm running Xubuntu 20.04.

Is there a way to get automatic notifications that tells the user if there is no internet connection? Something like this:

In my country, we get frequent Internet disconnections and I would like to know if and when the connection drops. Is there an something that could do this?

The reason why I want something like this is because yesterday, when I was online chatting with a friend and I was also playing a game, I was unaware my connection dropped and my friend sent me a message and I never got any notifications that my friend sent me a message due to the connection being lost. I only found out my connection dropped 30 minutes into my game.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ardouronerous; August 24th, 2021 at 09:38 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: is there a way to get automatic notifications that tells the user if there is no

Can you not create a cronjob which pings at intervals to test internet connection while you are in a session?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: is there a way to get automatic notifications that tells the user if there is no

A crontab entry like this maybe?
    Code:
    * * * * * ping -c3 1.1.1.1 || zenity --warning --text "Internet gone wobbly again!"

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I've had such notifications for ages. Now digging into it, it appears that nm-applet is responsible for those notifications on Xubuntu (running 21.04 myself). Maybe that has something to do with running the indicator applet in the xfce panel? IDK. But that would only notify when the connection with the router breaks/is established. Monitoring the connection from there to the internet is a different matter.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    I've had such notifications for ages. Now digging into it, it appears that nm-applet is responsible for those notifications on Xubuntu (running 21.04 myself). Maybe that has something to do with running the indicator applet in the xfce panel? IDK. But that would only notify when the connection with the router breaks/is established. Monitoring the connection from there to the internet is a different matter.
    The problem with that is that the router doesn't show any problems though when the connection drops, it still has all it's green lights on, so it doesn't show any problems in the network applet, but when I try to browse, it says "Server not found," so the solution as put forward by my ISP is to close/open the router, but I never get notifications of when the connection drops, I have to discover it for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly41 View Post
    Can you not create a cronjob which pings at intervals to test internet connection while you are in a session?
    I don't know how to do a cronjob though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    A crontab entry like this maybe?
    Code:
    * * * * * ping -c3 1.1.1.1 || zenity --warning --text "Internet gone wobbly again!"
    I don't know how to do a cronjob. I heard it requires root permission to do cronjobs. Is there a way to do a cronjob but in my Home folder instead?
    Last edited by ardouronerous; August 25th, 2021 at 02:12 AM.