Thread: Ubuntu download onto usb not working

Beans

Ubuntu download onto usb not working

For a while now i’ve been trying to put a persistent linux os onto a usb drive; I first tried manjaro xcfe, which was too stressful(idk the word for it) for the drive to handle for everyday use. I figured that since ubuntu is lighter, it should run faster, in theory. With manjaro, all i did was use a flashed iso on a separate drive to download onto the main drive; but when i tried that on ubuntu, the download got stuck(no bar movement, no changing of the text). After waiting about 2 days and seeing no difference, I canceled it. I figured that someone on the forum would know what was happening and a way to fix it. i’m using ubuntu for desktop v20.04 LTS, and a 128gb usb drive. I’m almost certain it isn’t my internet, because it’s relatively fast. The part it’s stuck on is “preparing linux-modules-extra.5.11.0-27-generic(amd64)”

Beans

Re: Ubuntu download onto usb not working

I am not sure what got stuck, the downloading of the iso or the installation? What do you mean by "With manjaro, all i did was use a flashed iso on a separate drive to download onto the main drive"?

When installing I think it is better to uncheck the box downloading and installing third party software and install them inside Ubuntu (not the live session) later when the OS is installed.

Beans

the installation. downloading and flashing the iso worked fine. I’ll try that tonight and get back to you in the morning cuz these downloads from when i was doing it on manjaro take like 6 hours

Beans

The download worked, but the only way to boot off of the usb is by also having the installation media plugged in. What do you think the problem could be?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Sounds like you selected the wrong USB for the bootloader.