Thread: How to read CD-Rewrite disc

Beans

How to read CD-Rewrite disc

Hi all,

I have document files burned on CD-Rewrite disc years ago. Please advise how to read them and download them on PC

via
    ASUS DVD-Writer

vlc and mplayer are running on the system. Thanks

Regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: How to read CD-Rewrite disc

With the CD-RW ion the drive you should normally see it shown in your file manager; you can then simply copy those files to wherever you want in your filesystem, eg /home/<user>/Documents.

Trying to use VLC or mplayer for this purpose is never going to work as the disks are not filled with audio or video files, just with documents.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My experience with consumer grade writable optical media has not been all that good. The discs seem to have a finite lifetime.

I have a number of high quality parts (Taiyo Yuden) that went unreadable in less than six years and blanks from the same carton can no longer be written. They've all been stored in the proverbial cool, dry and dark place.
    regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Manufacturers used to claim that re-writable optical media would last 20 - 50 years. I don't think they say that any longer. Many libraries will not use optical media. Print, microfilm and rust are much more secure.

Chemists say the materials in CDs and DVDs, particularly the adhesives used in the lamination, will degrade in something on the order of two years. Throw in the possibility of poor manufacture and you have a recipe for disaster.

The answer to your question may be an expensive reader, a slow speed, a professional data recovery company or all of the above.

I don't think there will be a silver bullet "Oh, do this with a Linux distro and you will definitely get your stuff back!" answer.

If you can't read the files, my suggestion would be to take a sample to a data recovery company and see if they can help you with one disc
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

You could try a different reader. I have an USB reader I keep around since I don't have optical drives in most of my computer. You can get one for a few dollars.

Also you could try slow down the speed to the minimum.

My experience with old cds is not so dismal as some here have stated although they do sometimes go bad.