Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (Focal Fossa) System Tweaks

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (Focal Fossa) System Tweaks

What would be some good system tweaks?
    My budget won't allow new hardware any time soon.

I have...

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (Normal Install)
    wine-staging 6.15

128GB hard drive
    6.1GB Swap Area
    4GB RAM
    Last edited by wyattwhiteeagle; August 25th, 2021 at 06:31 AM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (Focal Fossa) System Tweaks

What is the IO error message?
    T.J.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by T.J. View Post
    What is the IO error message?
    Thank you.

The I/O error has already been troubleshooted and the results summary came back with the following...

Code:
    I/O Device Error
    Internally marked as "dirty" due to bad sector's.
    Replace the hard drive or repair it by resetting the internal markers.
    The way I understand that to mean is that the hard drive has went beyond it's EOL term and can't be used anymore.

The part of my original post that I was hoping to bring attention to is...(I will edit to reduce confusion)

What are the best settings Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (Focal Fossa) on 128GB hard Drive and 4GB Ram and 6.1GB Virtual Memory?

Small hard drive gets filled up very quickly and 4gb ram with 6.1g v-memory seems a bit small for a dual-core processor.
    Last edited by wyattwhiteeagle; August 25th, 2021 at 06:24 AM.

Beans

Are you able to look at the SMART data for more information on what failed?
    T.J.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I'm using a 2009 dell desktop, and whilst Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (with GNOME) runs perfectly okay on it; my preference is a lighter desktop (ie. flavor) as it performs faster and is better than I'd ever be able to achieve by tweaking GNOME.

If you have IO errors, I'd for sure explore the health of the drive (from live media, not the installed system) Refer https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Smartmontools though GUI tools can be used too (`gnome-disks`, KDE Partition Manager etc)

The lowest spec you gave was 4GB of RAM, so the best tweak you can do in my opinion, is ensure your chosen apps match your desktop perfectly, so as to avoid wasting RAM (ie. having one set of libraries for desktop or applications, rather than requiring multiple libs to co-exist because of poor application choice).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by guiverc View Post
    I'm using a 2009 dell desktop, and whilst Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (with GNOME) runs perfectly okay on it; my preference is a lighter desktop (ie. flavor) as it performs faster and is better than I'd ever be able to achieve by tweaking GNOME.

If you have IO errors, I'd for sure explore the health of the drive (from live media, not the installed system) Refer https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Smartmontools though GUI tools can be used too (`gnome-disks`, KDE Partition Manager etc)

The lowest spec you gave was 4GB of RAM, so the best tweak you can do in my opinion, is ensure your chosen apps match your desktop perfectly, so as to avoid wasting RAM (ie. having one set of libraries for desktop or applications, rather than requiring multiple libs to co-exist because of poor application choice).
    Thank you for that info.

Nothing I've tried so far has corrected the issue.

In my situation, I don't believe LiveUSB or the installed USB actually matters.

Using the Ubuntu LiveUSB, I chose the "Something Else" option to repartition and install Ubuntu onto a 128gb usb thumb drive.
    I designated some of that 128gb as a swap area.
    The 128gb USB flashdrive that has Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (Focal Fossa) installed onto.

The detail's..
    Model SanDisk Cruzer Glide (1.00)
    Size 128 GB (128,000,000,000 bytes)
    Partitioning GUID Partition Table
    Serial Number 4C530000191202123483

Device /dev/sdb1
    Size 122 GB — 108 GB free (11.3% full)
    UUID 0b2dfa7b-e56b-4aba-9440-de31ae7a9e4e
    Partition Type Linux Filesystem
    Contents Ext4 (version 1.0) — Mounted at Filesystem Root

Device /dev/sdb2
    Size 6.0 GB (5,999,951,872 bytes)
    UUID 76318833-a77c-4a1d-89a9-1c9bd49fa60d
    Partition Type Linux Swap
    Contents Swap (version 1) — Active
    The few error's it has are mainly caused by my own "trial and error".
    That's why I'm asking about "system tweaks".

The Internal HDD is the device with the I/O errors.
    I can't install or uninstall anything on that hard drive.
    However, Ubuntu is able to access the non-defective partition's as "usable storage space".
    It had Windows 7 Home Premium (SP1) installed on it.
    25% or more of that hard drive is bad sectors.
    That many sectors being marked as "Bad" is probably what triggered the "I/O Device Error".
    It'll take some time, but it can be repaired with forensics technique's using SluethKit, etc.

Ubuntu's "Self Test" in Disk's see's the drive as "Old Age" and "Pre-fail"
    Not even the Windows Installation media "basic fix" technique's can correct it.
    Windows installation gave the message, "Cannot install to a partition on Disk 0...(Error Code: 0x80070057)"
    I've tried using Windows "cmd (admin) at boot" in the installation media.
    I've also tried as per this thread https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2465826
    Last edited by wyattwhiteeagle; August 31st, 2021 at 01:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Here are attached screenshots of the internal HDD.

My Ubuntu install is on a USB thumb drive.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by guiverc View Post
    ...ensure your chosen apps match your desktop perfectly, so as to avoid wasting RAM (ie. having one set of libraries for desktop or applications...).

I'm a bit lost here.
    Can you elaborate a bit more because...

The system was manufactured and shipped with Windows 7 Home Premium.
    Apps matching my desktop perfectly sounds like you are meaning to choose no other apps unless they are specifically for Win7 HP.

As far as Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Focal Fossa, it's actually being strict about installing apps for an earlier version (ie, Bionic Beaver, etc).

To sum it up, it seems like you are saying...
    So, if it ain't compatible for Focal Fossa, go find a Windows equivalent and use PlayOnLinux, Wine, or something.
    If that don't work, tough...you ain't gonna use that app.
    Last edited by wyattwhiteeagle; August 31st, 2021 at 07:35 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Now we know that your Ubuntu install is actually a full install on a 128G USB flash drive, I think a lot of your problems are explainable more simply and quickly.

A USB flash drive is never going to be a completely reliable way to run the full OS. It will never run as fast as an installation on a normal internal drive, particularly if using USB2, and trying to use gnome will undoubtedly be too resource hungry for running a fully usable OS.

Your options are limited by that limiting hardware, particularly the USB flash drive, and don't forget that flash memory is extremely time limited in terms of the number of writes to it, so be prepared for it to possibly just suddenly stop working at all, not just run slowly.

BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP.
    Always essential but even more so in your situation!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Now we know that your Ubuntu install is actually a full install on a 128G USB flash drive, I think a lot of your problems are explainable more simply and quickly.

A USB flash drive is never going to be a completely reliable way to run the full OS. It will never run as fast as an installation on a normal internal drive, particularly if using USB2, and trying to use gnome will undoubtedly be too resource hungry for running a fully usable OS.

Your options are limited by that limiting hardware, particularly the USB flash drive, and don't forget that flash memory is extremely time limited in terms of the number of writes to it, so be prepared for it to possibly just suddenly stop working at all, not just run slowly.

BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP.
    Always essential but even more so in your situation!
    Thank you

That other laptop (I'm guessing it's gonna turn out to be only for parts) is supposed to be arriving within the next week.

I'm considering switching to Lubuntu.
    Even with switching, it has no value in terms of the number of writes to the 128gb.

Not my personal files like fav songs, pics of family and friends...not those because I have those stored on another usb drive.

So, backup...backup...backup.
    Even now is extremely critical for me to always backup

Before and after making the switch...

What would be the best strategies for backing up the system data so as to not have to go through trying to recover data from a otherwise non-working thumbstick?

I'm also wanting to backup the apps and packages I installed...some of these may be only for gnome which probably won't be needed for Lubuntu...
    ubuntu-restricted-extras
    gnome-tweak-tool
    Bleachbit
    PlayOnLinux
    Wine
    Winetricks
    Last edited by wyattwhiteeagle; August 31st, 2021 at 12:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast