Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop not turning off 100% under Ubuntu (working fine under Windows)

Beans

Unhappy Laptop not turning off 100% under Ubuntu (working fine under Windows)

Hi all,

I am new to Ubuntu so I don't have idea how this works. I bought a new laptop Lenovo Thinkpad L15 gen2 (11th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz × 8, Mesa Intel® Xe Graphics (TGL GT2)) and installed Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS. My wifi wasn't working so a User of this forum helped me to make it work (used this solution: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1352...n-ubuntu-21-04).

After that whenever I try to turn of the computer, screen turns off, power button light turns off but Num Lock or Caps Lock lights do not turn off and I am not able to turn on the computer anymore. I must press power button for 10 seconds in order to fully turn it off (after those 10 seconds all keyboard lights turn off) and then I am able to turn it on again. This issue is not happening under Windows.

I don't know what might be the problem, but sometimes it doesn't happen if I had closed the cover or suspended the computer, maybe 2 out of 5 times I did that, then I can turn it off normally, but if I don't do that (close cover or suspend) 100% of the times the issue occurs.

This is what I see once I use the Power Off option under Ubuntu and screen and power button light already turned off: https://imgur.com/a/PZA6kfG
    After that I can't turn on the computer again, I need to press 10 seconds the power button to turn if off 100% and only after that I can turn it on again.

Hope you can help me.

Thanks in advance,

Matias

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Laptop not turning off 100% under Ubuntu (working fine under Windows)

You can try run the poweroff command on terminal to see if appear any message.

$ poweroff

You also can see your system logs on /var/log/syslog

$ cat /var/log/syslog | grep 'Error'
    Ubuntu with me & me with Ubuntu! my GNU/Linux https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DerivativeTe.../Flavitu-Linux

Beans

Did you turn off fast boot in Windows?

Beans

Thank you both for your replies.

@Portaro: Didn't find any error in system logs, all errors are from yesterday and before that, and today I turned off like 30 times or more. Tried by using the poweroff command and like 3 out of 5 is turning off correctly.

@monkeybrain20122: About the fast boot in Windows, do you mean in the Bios? I don't know any fast boot option in Windows, only the Bios one.

EDIT: This is how the option in the Bios is configured: https://imgur.com/a/JJYGnGi

If I turn it off in the login screen (without logging the User) it's working fine.

EDIT 2: found this in logs app:
    22:33:24 kernel: power_ctrl_logic 0000:00:00.0: @power_ctrl_logic_probe: fail to add gpio
    22:33:24 kernel: usbhid 3-1:1.1: couldn't find an input interrupt endpoint
    22:33:24 kernel: pci 0000:00:07.0: DPC: RP PIO log size 0 is invalid
    22:33:24 kernel: x86/cpu: VMX (outside TXT) disabled by BIOS
    Last edited by bubbabubbarda; August 23rd, 2021 at 02:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I don't know any fast boot option in Windows
    In Windows, it is called Fast Start which can be disabled within Windows.
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-d...0-fast-startup
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans

Thanks for your reply. I already disabled fast start and also disabled hibernate (to also gain some free space by not having the hiberfile.sys) but under Ubuntu I am still facing the issue.

If there is anything you know I can try, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,

Matias

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by bubbabubbarda View Post
    I bought a new laptop Lenovo Thinkpad L15 gen2 (11th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz × 8, Mesa Intel® Xe Graphics (TGL GT2)) and installed Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS.
    11th Gen Intel is quite new.
    New hardware often functions better with a new kernel.
    Perhaps the kernel in Ubuntu 21.04 or Ubuntu 21.10 in development will help?

Beans

I get what you are saying, thanks for your help, I think I can't do that because I have some requirements from the company I will start working next Monday. I will ask if it is possible to use those versions but I don't think so. Even 20.04 I don't know if I can use. They told me 16.04 or 18.04 so I will ask.Thanks

Beans

If you run:
    Code:
    sudo shutdown -h now
    Does it power off OK?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bubbabubbarda View Post
    I get what you are saying, thanks for your help, I think I can't do that because I have some requirements from the company I will start working next Monday. I will ask if it is possible to use those versions but I don't think so. Even 20.04 I don't know if I can use. They told me 16.04 or 18.04 so I will ask.Thanks
    You can grab a new kernel from here.

Create a folder, give it a name like linux.

download the linux-headers-generic, linux-headers-all, linux-image-generic and linux-modules-generic debs for amd64 and save them in the folder you just created (linux in our example)

then
    Code:
    cd linux

sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    Then reboot. If the new kernel doesn't work. Reboot, press esc to bring up the grub menu, choose advanced option, boot into the previous kernel and uninstall those packages you just installed (it would be really convenient if you have synaptic) I linked you to the latest release but you can try other versions by going to the parent folder and choose from there.

Edited: if they tell you 16.04 they probably don't know what they are talking about and give you outdated info. 16.04 reached end of life in April.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; August 23rd, 2021 at 06:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast